The Fly Trap (Possibly NSFW)

Status
Not open for further replies.
HAHA, everyone was all "you guys are moving to phoenix, you are crazy, it's stupid hot there" yet today you are all complaining of it feeling over 100 and you have to deal with tons of humidity, yet here, late in July, it's only 102.

It's like this for maybe a week or two a year, and like I said, I get hot when it's over 70....

I haven't lost my cool in awhile but this friggin Dell tech support agent is testing my patience :mad: No I will not do a PC restore if the harddrive had bad sectors, thus wiping out the remaining customer's data, and not solving the issue of the harddrive needing replacement.

38min phone call to get one simple fucking harddrive. even the supervisor was being a dick and kept requesting I run a restore.

Last edited:
I haven't lost my cool in awhile but this friggin Dell tech support agent is testing my patience :mad: No I will not do a PC restore if the harddrive had bad sectors, thus wiping out the remaining customer's data, and not solving the issue of the harddrive needing replacement.

38min phone call to get one simple fucking harddrive. even the supervisor was being a dick and kept requesting I run a restore.

...... optiplex?

did you run diagnostics and determine the drive was failing for certain? if so, you should have shot them through the phone

...... optiplex?
Dimension E520 unfortunately, else I would have called Dell Business Tech Support and not have to talk to an Indian.

did you run diagnostics and determine the drive was failing for certain? if so, you should have shot them through the phone
Yeah ran the embedded hdd diag tool (hit F12, test hdd) and also ran the one in the Utility Partition. Both Failed. I couldn't get the Western Digital diagnostic cd to see the harddrive (I think due to the AHCI/RAID setting in the BIOS which cannot be turned off).

I mentioned at least 10 times to the first agent the hdd was dead, ran their diag tool prior to calling them. All she wanted me to do was run the PC Restore. Asked for her supervisor. He wanted me to run the Dell Diagnostic and see if it would fix the issue. Which I already ran, and was runnign while on the phone. It would take 15mins to hit each bad block. After a dozen, I gave up.

The supervisor even had the balls to say "I need some feedback. How did Dell and our techs treat you today?" I just no comment and hung up the phone.

Fuck Western Digital hdds in the ass. Goddamn I hate their drives. Fortunately most of the data appears to be good, so I'll getdataback the drive, to the new drive.

I really need to get my Dell certification. I believe Dell techs have a special phone number and ID and they can request parts under warranty and skip all this bullshit.

Last edited:
drive.

I really need to get my Dell certification. I believe Dell techs have a special phone number and ID and they can request parts under warranty and skip all this bullshit.

I spent two years as a break/fix monkey doing Dell service, and while we didn't have to wait as long on hold, we still sometimes had to put up with the same bullshit as everyone else-- Dell Precision Workstation support, I'm looking at you.

Keep in mind that this was also 10 years ago. They have fallen far since then. I never had to deal with Indians or such on that job. It was before everyone started drinking the offshoring Kool-Aide.

As an aside, I remember this one call I had. It was a house call, which I always hated. Most folks I had to deal with were cool, but doctors, lawyers, and house calls were always fucking terrible because they Knew Better Than You.

Anyway, this lady-- some thin, middle aged thing in a conservative business suit and living in a nice house in North Baltimore worth at least a a million-and-a-half dollars in 2008 money had called in saying the fan on her Latitude C (I know... I'm old) was making too much noise. So I roll in and fire the fucker up. Sounds exactly like every other Latitude C I'd heard in my life. So, she asks me to change the fan anyway, and, as a courtesy, I do it as tearing these machines down was something I could do with my eyes shut at this point.

I get the new fan installed and reassemble the machine. I turn it on and it sounds exactly, fucking the same. The bitch then has the gall to ask me to put the old fan back in.

Now, I was there doing warranty work, and at this point I was sick and tired enough of doing it. By biggest thrill in a day would usually come from finding a case of customer abuse and refusing service. This meant I could go home that much earlier and still collect my 8 hours pay for the day.

Anyway, I look this bitch in the eye and say, "No."

Then I leave.

I know. There wasn't really any payoff to that story. I just like to tell it.

I am a dell break fix monkey and a certied tech. I have a cabinent fulla those old dell latitutde and inspirons. dimensions have problem with bad western digital drive controllers.other than that nothing else that I know of

I want to find the guy who designed the first few Inspiron models and kick him in the nuts. Those things had no less than a dozen different sizes of screw holding them together. One of the least service friendly machines I've ever had to work on.

I might be picking up a used Dell Poweredge 2650 2U rackmount server today, with two 1.8ghz Xeons, 4GB ECC DDR, only one 36gb Scsi :| I talked the guy down to $100, might go even lower depending on the condition. I'd need to get more scsi drives + caddies OR get a nice 3ware SATA raid controller and RAID5 the bitch with some new SATAs. I've been wanting a new server to colocate for awhile now.

I might be picking up a used Dell Poweredge 2650 2U rackmount server today, with two 1.8ghz Xeons, 4GB ECC DDR, only one 36gb Scsi :| I talked the guy down to $100, might go even lower depending on the condition. I'd need to get more scsi drives + caddies OR get a nice 3ware SATA raid controller and RAID5 the bitch with some new SATAs. I've been wanting a new server to colocate for awhile now.

You'll need a new backplane if you switch to SATA, I think.

Edit: or does this model not have hot-swappable drives?

SCA style SCSI drives?

I think I have some 36 gig and 9 gig SCA drives from some older Poweredge 2500's. The 36's I think are 7200 RPM and the 9's are 10,000RPM if I remember correctly. I might have the hotswap trays for them too.

Lemme know if you're interested. You can have them cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.