The Fly Trap (Possibly NSFW)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shiner is awesome. Is there a Florida equivalent?

In Houston? What a gay restaurant.

Woo! Finally, it's beer o'clock.

Shiner is awesome. Is there a Florida equivalent?

In Houston? What a gay restaurant.

Woo! Finally, it's beer o'clock.

Not that I know of... the beer here seems to be Yuengling which is pretty okay.

Instead I have Newcastle to cover for Shiner... pretty tasty overseas beer.

Not that I know of... the beer here seems to be Yuengling which is pretty okay.

Instead I have Newcastle to cover for Shiner... pretty tasty overseas beer.
Ahhh, I do love Newcastle.

On my thid well-deserved shiner. I love my local internet pub.

saw this today on the history channel...buccaneers were originally makers of jerky before they became pirates...the tampa bay jerky makers :p

The buccaneers came into existence around the turn of the seventeenth century. The island of Hispaniola was settled by the Spanish at the turn of the sixteenth century, right after Christopher Columbus found it. By 1600, the colonists there, having depleted all of the indigenous slaves and the gold, moved on to colonies on the mainland. They left behind a great number of cattle and swine which flourished in the tropical climate and lack of natural predators. Meanwhile, as mentioned above, all through the latter 1500s and most of the 1600s, the English, French, and Dutch had government and corporate-sponsored fleets sailing all over the trade routes trying to relieve the Spanish of their gold and establish colonies of their own. As is always the case, not everyone is satisfied with living in a civilized society. A person might be especially disinclined to remain in civilization if they had been pressed into indentured servitude or the military, due to debt, bad luck, or being a political or religious dissident. As a result, all of those European ships and colonies lost men here and there. Those escaped men and other adventurers began to congregate on the abandoned northern coast of Hispaniola, the high country known as “the Haiti”.

This disparate and desperate collection of men found they could live there quite comfortably. The climate was Eden-like compared to Europe, and food, whether cattle, hogs, or native fruits and vegetables, was abundant. The earliest members of this group, in the late 1500s, learned what they needed from the few native tribesmen left alive on the island. One of the indigenous customs was the making of boucan: essentially what most of us call jerky, smoked and dried meat. The escaped men on the Haiti would trade this boucan, and the hides from the slaughtered animals, to passing ships for powder and weapons. People began to call these wild cattle hunters, boucaniers, which of course was anglicized by the mid-1600s to buccaneers. The buccaneers called themselves the Brethren of the Coast.

Status
Not open for further replies.