The Fly Trap (Possibly NSFW)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, the biggest one-day salary I've been told of was by a Prof of mine who got 37k for a private heart bypass in Germany.

~3% reach top rung salaries of Consultancy, their NHS salary at this stage is 118,975 and any earned ontop of this is from the private medical sector in which consultants are allowed to practice in 10 days a month.

Not everyone is on huge pay, and compared to the rates of pay of NHS Executives and "Managers" who have a degree perhaps in business studies, footballers tie knot and porsche 911s' - it's rather paltry.

We do a hard job. I won't see 100k+ for a very long time, if ever. Don't assume that everyone starts and gains this massive salary by the time they're 40, you'd be as silly as most first years who've bought into the prospectus :p

My stepfather is a doctor. He has been for at least 20 years and doesn't make 100k. Close but not quite.

My stepfather is a doctor. He has been for at least 20 years and doesn't make 100k. Close but not quite.

They're a good horse for the media and spin-doctors to beat with a stick though. Keeps peoples mines off the usurious salaries being dispensed in "healthcare management".

Let's keep in mind the debt we go through to actually get a salary in the first place. Not pleasent. Medicine isn't a career that's going to make you rich beyond your wildest dreams, but comfortable. Especially in this day and age. That's all I'd want.

But is he a consultant grade?

Doesn't exist in the US

Also, for one person to become a full Consultant another Consultant has to retire. A "Consultant" with FRC can be called Mr. but not be on a Consultant's paygrade and may still remain SReg until they retire, as is usually the case.

Are you doing the BBC's job? :p

No, but I am a big believer that consultants / contractors should make more money than a full time individual.

A Consultant isn't someone from the "outside". In the UK Consultant refers to a Doctor of min. 15 years Experience, Fellowship of the Royal College and extraordinary practice in a specific discipline. They are employed by the NHS and are asked to "Consult" on treatments.

They do the same work as other senior Doctors, but maybe only 3 or 4 days a week. To increase incentive all UK Doctors, not just consultants, have a certain amount of time to practice in private medicine. Consultant's are still employed by the NHS, the title is antiquated.

A Consultant isn't someone from the "outside". In the UK Consultant refers to a Doctor of min. 15 years Experience, Fellowship of the Royal College and extraordinary practice in a specific discipline. They are employed by the NHS and are asked to "Consult" on treatments.

They do the same work as other senior Doctors, but maybe only 3 or 4 days a week. To increase incentive all UK Doctors, not just consultants, have a certain amount of time to practice in private medicine. Consultant's are still employed by the NHS, the title is antiquated.

Ah I see. Consultant / contractor is my work means someone that comes on for a project and leaves when the project is finished.

I did wonder whether it was the same in the US.

No, I'm just a humble med sec. :p

Most SReg's I know here make ~60k after 15 years experience or so. You can make a lot more in Private and it's fully dependant on discipline.

Consultants, contrary to belief, are nowhere near reimbursed to the extent at which GP's are. My own GP earns ~250k per year alone.

Like I said, it's a familiar haunt of the UK media to lampoon docs, just like the AVIATION INDUSTRY.

No, but I am a big believer that consultants / contractors should make more money than a full time individual.

If your state wasted as much as our local councils do on consultants (not necessarily medical ones) you'd probably believe the opposite. Millions are wasted each year on consultants locally to basically not do much at all, if anything. In Nottingham we hired a group of consultants, paid them 100's of thousands to come up with a new logo for the city, and they came up with an italicised N after months of getting paid. Brilliant!!!!

Ah I see. Consultant / contractor is my work means someone that comes on for a project and leaves when the project is finished.

Yeah.. Consultant essentially means 'very good doctor'. They're easy to spot in the UK as they have clean nails and a nice shirt and don't wear scrubs.

If your state wasted as much as our local councils do on consultants (not necessarily medical ones) you'd probably believe the opposite. Millions are wasted each year on consultants locally to basically not do much at all, if anything. In Nottingham we hired a group of consultants, paid them 100's of thousands to come up with a new logo for the city, and they came up with an italicised N after months of getting paid. Brilliant!!!!

My state wastes lots of money on "Social Justice" programs. Mind telling me what Social Justice is?

Either way, it's government waste. Everyone in the UK takes our health service and health professionals for granted. I see it almost daily from patients. It's sad to see.

guess that MSRA (MRSA, whatever, I'm not reading 5 pages again) is growing in cases though. there were several signs at my son's college tuesday about "Guard against MSRA, WASH YOUR HANDS"

and I think I've seen it mentioned on several of the weekly news shows.

i can't wait for mr. no humour to lurch forward from his crypt and give me a rolleyes to the comment above for not being as heavenly enlightened as he

isaiah picked john mccain up and threw him back to the ground

aratoeldork? :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.