The Fly Trap (Possibly NSFW)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you clarify what you mean by money to help you live on? Is that from the government? Like financial aid for school?

I got a little bit of money from the college I went to to help buy books etc. which I couldn't afford and I also got help with my rent and because of my 'circumstances' was able to claim benefit so I could afford to live i.e. buy food etc. It's quite hard to budget on what I think is the equivalent of $90 a week, considering now I work I get $600 a week.

I know in the US there aren't many benefits available to people but I suppose that's why 20% of my earnings are taxed, so if I'm ever in the shit I can recoup these if I need to.

Nice.

I would've worked 100 hours a week at that age if I could've legally.

Washing dishes was far more appealing than going to school.

Working full time at 16 is really strenuous though. I was a mess, trying to learn all the skills to live: hygeine, cleaning, cooking, paying bills you didn't even know about, on top of feeling like crap because the only family you have hates you and then having to wake up and work for people that are assholes is not ideal. But it makes you a better person.

I have no idea what the actual answer is... need a medical link for proofage.

http://www.nichd.nih.gov/publications/pubs/downsyndrome.cfm\

39 1 in 135
40 1 in 105

Although from that site, I find it hard to believe that when you're 40 it's 1 in 105, and yet just 2 years later at 42 it's 1 in 60.

There's still many genetic defects that occur very frequently regardless of age though. I don't think downs syndrome is particularly something I'd ever worry about. By the same logic we should be more worried about our kids being obese if being overweight runs in the family. That's more cruel if you ask me.

Working full time at 16 is really strenuous though. I was a mess, trying to learn all the skills to live: hygeine, cleaning, cooking, paying bills you didn't even know about, on top of feeling like crap because the only family you have hates you and then having to wake up and work for people that are assholes is not ideal. But it makes you a better person.

I would've still be living at home, so most of those issues wouldn't have applied to me.

I would've still be living at home, so most of those issues wouldn't have applied to me.

Like I say, it's cultural. In the UK quite a few (not a big amount) of kids leave at 16, most at 18 just like the US. But I do get pretty pissy when students (people at university) moan about the amount of money they dont] have considering they're geting $8000+ a year, plus money from mummy and daddy etc. I think being kicked out at 16 is very character building, overwise it'll take you much longer to mature and realise what responsibility means. I guess the downside is that when I decided to study again and went to college I couldn't make a single friend.

when will people start telling people to put down the danish like they tell people to stop smoking, because "it's bad for you!"" ?????

seriously.

YEAH! Atleast smoking makes me thin. If I don't smoke I'm fat, therefore just much of a drain on society and healthcare!

I guess people are too polite to be honest about fat people. We've probably all seen a fatty ordering 3 hamburgers and said "trust me, you dont need them" but we'd never actually say it in earshot. I hate anti-smoking idiots.

when will people start telling people to put down the danish like they tell people to stop smoking, because "it's bad for you!"" ?????

seriously.
the smoking industry is too busy keeping itself from being outright banned to spend any time trying to make it impolite to insult or harass smokers.

the smoking industry is too busy keeping itself from being outright banned to spend any time trying to make it impolite to insult or harass smokers.

I have to say I don't think it's so bad here. Nobody's ever said anything about me smoking. If I thought they might have a point (i.e. I'm stood next to a new born baby) then I probably wouldn't mind. Not that I'm all that inconsiderate. We do have smoking wardens round our work though. They banned smoking even outside on the grounds of any hospital. What exactly do you say to the people who have wheeled themselves out the ward with an IV drip on just to have a cig? I hate smoking wardens.

Oh yeah, and on any council owned ground if you drop a cigarette it's a $100 fine. What a load of bull.

I don't smoke actual cigarettes. I smoke rolling tobacco with hand rolling paper. Paper that thin degrades very, very quickly. On the odd occasion (maybe once a year) I smoke actual cigarettes I don't throw them on the floor. My argument is always that I'm not throwing anything on the floor that doesn't degrade.

I have no issue with that. Cig filters need to reworked to be more biodegradable. Woman should be allowed to be topless at anytime like men. And Georgia should sell alcohol on Sundays. And then the world will be a better place.

Last edited:
I have no issue with that. Cig filters need to reworked to be more biodegradable. Woman should be allowed to be topless at anytime like men. And Georgia should sell alcohol on Sundays. And then the world will be a better place.

I think being able to tase litterers would make a big difference.

Gotta fix the root of the problem :fly:

Status
Not open for further replies.