The Fly Trap (Possibly NSFW)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that there are upsides and downsides. But if you knowing that having a child after a certain age would skyrocket the risks, would you still get pregnant?

I know smoking is killing me, do I still do that? Just because there are 'risks' doesn't mean you wouldn't do it. How about if you were trying for a child for years and conceived in your late 30's, would you think 'Hey my child has higher risks of being affected with downs syndrome so you know what, I'll just abort it, even though I've wanted a child for years and will never get the chance again'.

It's my opinion that most children with downs syndrome are very happy indeed, in fact more happy than the average angst ridden teenager. Where's the harm?

I know smoking is killing me, do I still do that? Just because there are 'risks' doesn't mean you wouldn't do it. How about if you were trying for a child for years and conceived in your late 30's, would you think 'Hey my child has higher risks of being affected with downs syndrome so you know what, I'll just abort it, even though I've wanted a child for years and will never get the chance again'.

It's my opinion that most children with downs syndrome are very happy indeed, in fact more happy than the average angst ridden teenager. Where's the harm?

it's deemed overly burdensome to have to care for a kid after they've reached 18 and should be out of the house

it's deemed overly burdensome to have to care for a kid after they've reached 18 and should be out of the house

And yet I heard on the news the other day that in England by the age of 25 a 1/3 of men still live at home. Is your solution just to kill off all foetuses that look like they might have downs syndrome? The only definate test comes with a 2% risk of miscarriage, and I met someone a while ago whose mother was told she had downs syndrome, til she came out the womb perfectly normal. By some people's logic she would have been a perfectly healthy but dead baby.

But smoking harms you not another person, well except for second hand smoke.

And I am definately not saying to abort the child. I believe that everyone has the right to abort. But I wouldn't. My assumption is that it was a planned pregnancy. However, I have nothing to support that so again this is my opinion.

Besides the fact that it is completely selfish on the parents part to have a high risk pregnancy? I'm on Dharmas side on this. How can a person live with themselves knowing that they did this to their child?

And yet I heard on the news the other day that in England by the age of 25 a 1/3 of men still live at home. Is your solution just to kill off all foetuses that look like they might have downs syndrome? The only definate test comes with a 2% risk of miscarriage, and I met someone a while ago whose mother was told she had downs syndrome, til she came out the womb perfectly normal. By some people's logic she would have been a perfectly healthy but dead baby.

I think you are taking this to an extreme. I never said anything about abortion.

But smoking harms you not another person, well except for second hand smoke.

And I am definately not saying to abort the child. I believe that everyone has the right to abort. But I wouldn't. My assumption is that it was a planned pregnancy. However, I have nothing to support that so again this is my opinion.

So having a downs syndrome kid is mean on the kid? They're all unhappy and woeful and life isn't worth living? I think it's probably the fact that you couldn't make the sacrifice, not that the child would mind something that to itself is perfectly normal. Plus a lot of pregenancies aren't planned, a friend of mine has two young kids, yet has been on the pill the entire time, so she certainly didn't plan on them. And I don't think you can assume a thing like whether the pregnancy was planned or not, it's not the norm for a 40 year old woman to want more children.

So having a downs syndrome kid is mean on the kid? They're all unhappy and woeful and life isn't worth living? I think it's probably the fact that you couldn't make the sacrifice, not that the child would mind something that to itself is perfectly normal. Plus a lot of pregenancies aren't planned, a friend of mine has two young kids, yet has been on the pill the entire time, so she certainly didn't plan on them. And I don't think you can assume a thing like whether the pregnancy was planned or not, it's not the norm for a 40 year old woman to want more children.

Okey dokey.

Besides the fact that it is completely selfish on the parents part to have a high risk pregnancy? I'm on Dharmas side on this. How can a person live with themselves knowing that they did this to their child?

Well considering they didn't 'do' this to their child I probably could live. Downs syndrome is just the fact that a set of chromosomes don't form properly, not something that happens due to personal choices. It can happen at any age, would it be a 20 year olds 'fault' if their kid was slightly retarded due to recessive genetics or downs syndrome? I don't think so.

it depends on the country...anyone living at their parents in the US that is passed college age is seen as a failure...I was only home for summers starting at age 13

Status
Not open for further replies.