NSFW The Exercise Thread

I did 4 miles today. I need tips on breathing better. I feel like I’m always trying to catch my breath @Mrs. Valve @fly @APRIL
Make sure you're running with your arms low. Like "at the waist" low. It seems like the right thing to do to bring them in tight to your chest, but it helps with breathing and circulation to have them lower.

• Gravy
Reactions: APRIL
Make sure you're running with your arms low. Like "at the waist" low. It seems like the right thing to do to bring them in tight to your chest, but it helps with breathing and circulation to have them lower.

While a good thought I’m on an elliptical so my arms are just where they are to hold the handles.

So I downloaded one of those 5k-10K apps to move me from 3 miles to 6 miles. They do workouts 3 times a week but I’ve been running 5 days a week (2 on 1 rest 3 on 1rest). Am I going to risk injury if I do the workouts on the app accelerated so I still get 5 days of running? Should I alternate app workout days with just casual runs?
Tell me how to get fit and skinny again!

So I downloaded one of those 5k-10K apps to move me from 3 miles to 6 miles. They do workouts 3 times a week but I’ve been running 5 days a week (2 on 1 rest 3 on 1rest). Am I going to risk injury if I do the workouts on the app accelerated so I still get 5 days of running? Should I alternate app workout days with just casual runs?
Tell me how to get fit and skinny again!
This is probably more @Mrs. Valve territory, but my guess is that you risk injury by ramping up too quickly, especially when starting. You need to wait for your body to reinforce all those tiny little bone injuries you're doing, among other things.

IIRC, @DJBrenton used to run from Athens to Marathon for the emperor. He might also have some insight.

• Gravy
Reactions: kiwi and Domon
This is probably more @Mrs. Valve territory, but my guess is that you risk injury by ramping up too quickly, especially when starting. You need to wait for your body to reinforce all those tiny little bone injuries you're doing, among other things.

IIRC, @DJBrenton used to run from Athens to Marathon for the emperor. He might also have some insight.

Athens to Marathon is a mere 25 miles or so which was a training run for me. Pheidipides run to Sparta was more my range as I once ran 128 miles in 24 hours, so i think starting out with easy 25 milers and building up is definitely the way to go.

• Haha
Reactions: fly

So alternate with maintenance runs in between the app building runs? I can totally do that.

So alternate with maintenance runs in between the app building runs? I can totally do that.
I'd probably try not to run more than four days a week, *slowly* increase mileage. That may be overly cautious, but you'll be super annoyed if you end up with shin splints or some other thing that prevents you from running for 1+ weeks.

In my mind (probably mostly because I run 5ks), once you can run about 5 miles without stopping, start working on speed. That said, I'm an idiot, and you should really probably be asking someone who knows more. :D

I'd probably try not to run more than four days a week, *slowly* increase mileage. That may be overly cautious, but you'll be super annoyed if you end up with shin splints or some other thing that prevents you from running for 1+ weeks.

In my mind (probably mostly because I run 5ks), once you can run about 5 miles without stopping, start working on speed. That said, I'm an idiot, and you should really probably be asking someone who knows more. :D
Alright I’ll do more research. Does the fact that it’s on an elliptical make a difference? I feel great and am super motivated to keep going so I don’t want to lose momentum.

Alright I’ll do more research. Does the fact that it’s on an elliptical make a difference? I feel great and am super motivated to keep going so I don’t want to lose momentum.
I've really only done road running, so can't really comment on the elliptical. I do know that it's pretty common for new runners to injure themselves by ramping up too quickly (pretty sure that I did it several times). Its not going to kill you, but if you have to take 2 weeks off when starting - its going to super suck all over again.

I've really only done road running, so can't really comment on the elliptical. I do know that it's pretty common for new runners to injure themselves by ramping up too quickly (pretty sure that I did it several times). Its not going to kill you, but if you have to take 2 weeks off when starting - its going to super suck all over again.
👍🏻 Maybe I focus on 4 runs, three with the ramping up one just maintenance and alternate in yoga on my off days since I need to work on flexibility too. My machine has built in weigh loss workouts that were way above my skill level so my goal after finishing the 10k app is to work through that and increasing resistance.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
👍🏻 Maybe I focus on 4 runs, three with the ramping up one just maintenance and alternate in yoga on my off days since I need to work on flexibility too. My machine has built in weigh loss workouts that were way above my skill level so my goal after finishing the 10k app is to work through that and increasing resistance.
That sounds like a good plan.

If you need something good for off days, there's T25 on Plex. The workout start to finish is 25 minutes and the first round doesn't even require weights or bands. I alternate days with running and T25, and then rest on the sabbath. Keeps me sane, and the T25 has also helped me built a bit of muscle too.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie and kiwi