NSFW The Exercise Thread

I feel like if you need to supplement in the middle of a run, running that much at one time is not good for you. Maybe stop and eat some food or smoke some weed and chill.

That's badass if you can do it though. A 10k is pretty badass too. 10ks are my limit. My body starts breaking at about 8.7k.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
190203847Screenshot20190203121602Connect.jpg

increasing pace, fastest so far for that amount of miles

• Gravy
Reactions: Amstel
I feel like if you need to supplement in the middle of a run, running that much at one time is not good for you. Maybe stop and eat some food or smoke some weed and chill.

That's badass if you can do it though. A 10k is pretty badass too. 10ks are my limit. My body starts breaking at about 8.7k.
i do keto so i dont have carbs in my system when i run and most runs i'm doing in a fasted state

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie and APRIL
thats cool im type 2 diabetic so it helps me control insulin
That's interesting. My parents are type 2 and they have trouble with carbs being too low as well as too high. It must affect people differently.

no clue on supplements yet
You've got a RoadRunner sports store there. (We've got one here too) Go get a sleeve of Nuun (according to MrsValve watermelon flavor tastes the *best* of the artificial flavoring tabs and the taste is minimal- she's right). They're like $4 each, eventually you'll get a big box, but start with one sleeve. 1/2 a tab = the electrolytes from 1.5 bottles of gatorade but zero sugars. They fiz while they dissolve (it's not carbonating your water bottle/cup, just dissolving).

Your body generally does a pretty good job of monitoring electrolytes on it's own, but a little overexertion brings on the need.

fwiw, my running buddy was told by his running wife that he'd need salt tabs when he started running 1/2 marathons regularly. Obviously she was wrong. He came home from a run one day & his wife told him to go look in the mirror. & just like you get a salt line/stain on your shoes in the winter (some of you will know what that is) he had them on his face. Knowing that I was a long ass way away from running 1/2s regularly, no worries on my end, but came in one day after a cool, easy, slow paced, 10mile run - bam. Ditto on the salty face. (I don't do those tabs, & have only seen 2x on my) So when you start getting up there in mile, don't panic when/if you see it.

Also, at Road Runner, it pays to be VIP. It's $2. Pay cash for it. It's $20ish for some super VIP and if you pay with a CC it renews at the supervip rate! You'll almost break even money on your first sleeve of Nuun if you do the VIP.

• Gravy
Reactions: MadDog
You've got a RoadRunner sports store there. (We've got one here too) Go get a sleeve of Nuun (according to MrsValve watermelon flavor tastes the *best* of the artificial flavoring tabs and the taste is minimal- she's right). They're like $4 each, eventually you'll get a big box, but start with one sleeve. 1/2 a tab = the electrolytes from 1.5 bottles of gatorade but zero sugars. They fiz while they dissolve (it's not carbonating your water bottle/cup, just dissolving).

Your body generally does a pretty good job of monitoring electrolytes on it's own, but a little overexertion brings on the need.

fwiw, my running buddy was told by his running wife that he'd need salt tabs when he started running 1/2 marathons regularly. Obviously she was wrong. He came home from a run one day & his wife told him to go look in the mirror. & just like you get a salt line/stain on your shoes in the winter (some of you will know what that is) he had them on his face. Knowing that I was a long ass way away from running 1/2s regularly, no worries on my end, but came in one day after a cool, easy, slow paced, 10mile run - bam. Ditto on the salty face. (I don't do those tabs, & have only seen 2x on my) So when you start getting up there in mile, don't panic when/if you see it.

Also, at Road Runner, it pays to be VIP. It's $2. Pay cash for it. It's $20ish for some super VIP and if you pay with a CC it renews at the supervip rate! You'll almost break even money on your first sleeve of Nuun if you do the VIP.
Cool I'll check it out

I def think in a couple months I might go in for a running consult since like 2 months ago I never ran before. I've watching a lot of form videos on youtube so I think I'm doing ok for a beginner but def could user professional advice.

• Gravy
I def think in a couple months I might go in for a running consult since like 2 months ago I never ran before. I've watching a lot of form videos on youtube so I think I'm doing ok for a beginner but def could user professional advice.
Some of the running stores have treadmills in them & they'll video your stride & tell you what kind of shoes you should look into. Free. You might even ask at some of these running stores if there are running groups around. Tons of info from those guys. You can literally find groups based on your pace. & the people that run in them run the spectrum from poverty cargo shorts running dorks in "Dad's grilling gyms shoes" to actual runners. For me, it was a good way to find other decent running paths.

You might even ask at some of these running stores if there are running groups around. Tons of info from those guys. You can literally find groups based on your pace. & the people that run in them run the spectrum from poverty cargo shorts running dorks in "Dad's grilling gyms shoes" to actual runners. For me, it was a good way to find other decent running paths.
Yeah I already have a run club picked out, its every wed at 630 at the coop brewery behind my apartment building i'm just waiting to get a little faster (like 10 min per mile)

• Gravy
I really want to get my pistol squats down so I can quit the gym. Barbell squats are all that keep me there and I don't want to buy a barbell. Anybody have any tips on pistol squats.

• Gravy
Reactions: nukes
Me too. I just want to be healthy, not destroy my body.
Yeah, I had started pushing it a bit, trying to run longer distances and my hip started bothering me so I backed off. I feel great and I've gotten into pretty good shape but I'm 45, not 25. I took it as my body telling me ok, that's enough.

• Gravy
Reactions: OOD and APRIL