Thread The Entitled (unknowningly?) complaining about entitlements

The thing I don't get about social security is that I don't feel like it is an "entitlement". Don't we all pay into that fund every paycheck? If the federal government hadn't touched that fund for other bs and invested well, wouldn't there be enough money in that fund for everyone who needs it? Forcing me to pay into a retirement fund and then calling it an entitlement and saying I'm relying on the government for money seems a little bit off to me.

The thing I don't get about social security is that I don't feel like it is an "entitlement". Don't we all pay into that fund every paycheck? If the federal government hadn't touched that fund for other bs and invested well, wouldn't there be enough money in that fund for everyone who needs it? Forcing me to pay into a retirement fund and then calling it an entitlement and saying I'm relying on the government for money seems a little bit off to me.

It's an entitlement because you're not paying for YOUR benefits, you're paying for the current needs of the people who are receiving a check today.

Think of it as taking care of your live in grandma or grandpa. Sure you're taking care of them, but it has nothing to do with what you have in any account when you need/want to be taken care of.

What makes it an entitlement is that when you're of age, the whole rest of the country will be paying for your needs.

the Social Security we have today is not what FDR thought we'd end up with when he signed it into law in 1935.
Life Expectancy:

Life expectancy at birth in 1930 was indeed only 58 for men and 62 for women, and the retirement age was 65.

Yep, SS benefits were to start at age 65 at a time in history when people didn't live nearly as long as they lived today (20+years longer now).

http://www.ssa.gov/history/lifeexpect.html

The problem is that while SS recipients are now living longer and collecting considerably more benefits, the people who provide the SS cash (the rest of us) hasn't grown at the same pace.

• Gravy
Reactions: 1 person
I've been paying out the ass my entire life with no return at all.(taxes over all) no kids, unmarried, gainfully employed and I wasn't a home owner until 2 years ago. zero deductions.

Last edited:
& your property taxes pay for schools your nonexistent kids don't go to.

Tell your gf you want better return on your $$, & knock that bitch up!

And how about all of the road improvements monies he pays in taxes? It's not like he actually uses the roads.

It's an entitlement because you're not paying for YOUR benefits, you're paying for the current needs of the people who are receiving a check today.

Think of it as taking care of your live in grandma or grandpa. Sure you're taking care of them, but it has nothing to do with what you have in any account when you need/want to be taken care of.

What makes it an entitlement is that when you're of age, the whole rest of the country will be paying for your needs.

the Social Security we have today is not what FDR thought we'd end up with when he signed it into law in 1935.
Life Expectancy:

Life expectancy at birth in 1930 was indeed only 58 for men and 62 for women, and the retirement age was 65.

Yep, SS benefits were to start at age 65 at a time in history when people didn't live nearly as long as they lived today (20+years longer now).

http://www.ssa.gov/history/lifeexpect.html

The problem is that while SS recipients are now living longer and collecting considerably more benefits, the people who provide the SS cash (the rest of us) hasn't grown at the same pace.

Yup. Raise the collection rate to at least 80.

I don't really see what your issues is.

"Older people get most of the benefits"
"programs for the disabled, the unemployed, veterans and children."

The only objectionable part I can see is 'the unemployed', which is a fraction of what your welfare goes towards. Honestly this rhetoric in the UK and now the US inciting people to hate on those less well off is disgraceful and I wish people would stop buying into it.

Also why exactly, when the figures say working people pay less in than they will get out in retirement, is the argument to lower taxes and not raise them? It seems to me the logical solution would be to raise taxes in order to keep programs that save lives through medical care rather than stop giving assistance to those in need. But then this is America, and for some odd reason you don't like taxation, even if the proceeds end up covering your medical care late in life.