Thread The Entitled (unknowningly?) complaining about entitlements

stick a sock in it, mini me. I was replying to amstel right above that post if you bothered to read which you obviously didn't

Oh, I read it, his actually had some point to it.

And in order for me to be a mini-you you'd need to get into a lot better shape.

What a napoleon may look like:
Xb8LB.jpg

Also why exactly, when the figures say working people pay less in than they will get out in retirement, is the argument to lower taxes and not raise them? It seems to me the logical solution would be to raise taxes in order to keep programs that save lives through medical care rather than stop giving assistance to those in need. But then this is America, and for some odd reason you don't like taxation, even if the proceeds end up covering your medical care late in life.

in a stagnant economy when you raise taxes people will have less money to spend. If people have less money to spend the businesses will not have reasons to expand which causes lack of job creation.

Right now, the American Participation Rate (% of American's that have jobs) is 63.9%

http://ycharts.com/indicators/labor_force_participation_rate

that means since Obama became president our Workforce has shrunk by 3.28% which means that we have 3.28% fewer people to collect taxes from.

Plus, real average income has gone down a bit as well.

Soooo, we have fewer people working, they're making less money, gas prices are going up, and you wanted to do what?

The solution is to get the economy on a fast track recovery. That will a) increase the # of american's working, and b) increase their taxable income. Historically, this has always been more productive.

A great example of how raising taxes doesn't work is from this article last month:

The British government has tried to raise tax revenues by raising tax rates on the highest income Britons. The January 2012 self-assessed tax returns were anticipated to provide more revenue because it was the first reporting period of the new, highest 50% tax rate for the highest earners. The Treasury, however, has reported that instead of tax revenues rising during that reporting period, revenues actually dropped from £10.86 billion in January 2011 to £10.35 billion in January 2012.

Last edited:
It's an entitlement because you're not paying for YOUR benefits, you're paying for the current needs of the people who are receiving a check today.

Think of it as taking care of your live in grandma or grandpa. Sure you're taking care of them, but it has nothing to do with what you have in any account when you need/want to be taken care of.

What makes it an entitlement is that when you're of age, the whole rest of the country will be paying for your needs.

the Social Security we have today is not what FDR thought we'd end up with when he signed it into law in 1935.
Life Expectancy:

Life expectancy at birth in 1930 was indeed only 58 for men and 62 for women, and the retirement age was 65.

Yep, SS benefits were to start at age 65 at a time in history when people didn't live nearly as long as they lived today (20+years longer now).

http://www.ssa.gov/history/lifeexpect.html

The problem is that while SS recipients are now living longer and collecting considerably more benefits, the people who provide the SS cash (the rest of us) hasn't grown at the same pace.

I have yet to meet one person over age 40 who wants to increase the benefit eligibility age.