The end is nye!

I don't think it will make a significant difference in the number of people exploring alternative fuels, at least not in the short term.

Look at Europe, they're paying nearly $8 a gallon and I saw no shortage of fuel thirsty V8's and V12's

The gov't has ensured that we will not be getting loads of more fuel efficient vehicles with it's restrictions on diesel until the US refineries produce 'compliant' diesel.

holycraph.jpg

nuff said.

ChikkenNoodul said:
I don't think it will make a significant difference in the number of people exploring alternative fuels, at least not in the short term.

Look at Europe, they're paying nearly $8 a gallon and I saw no shortage of fuel thirsty V8's and V12's

The gov't has ensured that we will not be getting loads of more fuel efficient vehicles with it's restrictions on diesel until the US refineries produce 'compliant' diesel.
And lets not forget gas subsidies and tax breaks. And more importantly, people don't care.

I'm SURE Detroit has started drawing up plans for energy efficient cars this year, sadly they are a lumbering giant and it will take 5+ years for that vehicle to be released.

fly said:
And lets not forget gas subsidies and tax breaks. And more importantly, people don't care.

People totally don't care, pickup trucks and SUV's line both sides of the street in front of my office and it's only one person riding in each, and there's no need for 98% of them to have a pickup there.

All they succeed in doing is clogging parking spaces, actually eliminating space for motorcycles or scooters which are one avenue we have right now to use for fuel efficiency.

fly said:
I'm SURE Detroit has started drawing up plans for energy efficient cars this year, sadly they are a lumbering giant and it will take 5+ years for that vehicle to be released.
At least, there's too many moving parts in cars now. We're going to end up with airplane-esque development cycles soon :fly:

Well I saw something on the news last night about the 1900 hurricane that hit Galveston. Apparently prior to the hurricane Galveston was the "Wall Street of the
Southwest". But after 12,000 were killed people did not rebuild the city and everything moved farther inland to Houston. So I guess a lot of people might not return to these areas after the storms. But I can't imagine what that does to the ecomony in those regions.

Pandora said:
Well I saw something on the news last night about the 1900 hurricane that hit Galveston. Apparently prior to the hurricane Galveston was the "Wall Street of the
Southwest". But after 12,000 were killed people did not rebuild the city and everything moved farther inland to Houston. So I guess a lot of people might not return to these areas after the storms. But I can't imagine what that does to the ecomony in those regions.
People aren't that smart now.

Pandora said:
They have a huge memorial in Galveston for that hurricane. People still live there but its definitely not a huge city.

AMO, read about it but if your lazy...

Highlights...

The Tampa Bay area can expect rainier than normal summers for a decade or more, thanks to changing temperature cycles in the Atlantic Ocean, the same phenomenon that has revved up hurricane seasons. Afterward, we can expect 20- to 30-year periods of relative dryness when the ocean cycle changes.

Scientists call this ocean cycle the Atlantic Multidecadal Oscillation, or AMO. It was discovered in connection with global warming. The AMO's warm phases were contributing to global warming, but its cool phases were offsetting it.
Researchers linked the cycles to tropical storms after the AMO switched to a warm phase in 1995 and promptly spawned a wicked hurricane season.

it is a very interesting article...

http://sptimes.com/2005/09/13/Weather/Storm_frenzy_is_not_a.shtml

Pandora said:
Truely, they just expect the insurance to pay for everything. Which makes me wonder if insurance companies will change their coverage policies for those areas?
I'd hope they would, but since they usually have to ask the state for increases... (at least that's how its done in FL)

Pandora said:
Truely, they just expect the insurance to pay for everything. Which makes me wonder if insurance companies will change their coverage policies for those areas?
They might, I'm not sure if there's any legal precedent preventing them from doing that. Probably not, considering I've had several companies refuse coverage for my ranch because of old outbuildings and the pond.

The one we went through required that we destroy one of the outbuildings, and have a contractor certify the sturdiness of another before they would grant us coverage :wtf: the building that they wanted burned was fine, we didn't want it either but the other was a 240 year old barn that will still be standing long after the ins. company has been bought and sold.

Either way, they're going to have to do that or raise the rates exponentially to still make the money they're used to.

BeeRad said:
AMO, read about it but if your lazy...

Highlights...

The Tampa Bay area can expect rainier than normal summers for a decade or more, thanks to changing temperature cycles in the Atlantic Ocean, the same phenomenon that has revved up hurricane seasons. Afterward, we can expect 20- to 30-year periods of relative dryness when the ocean cycle changes.

Scientists call this ocean cycle the Atlantic Multidecadal Oscillation, or AMO. It was discovered in connection with global warming. The AMO's warm phases were contributing to global warming, but its cool phases were offsetting it.
Researchers linked the cycles to tropical storms after the AMO switched to a warm phase in 1995 and promptly spawned a wicked hurricane season.

it is a very interesting article...

http://sptimes.com/2005/09/13/Weather/Storm_frenzy_is_not_a.shtml

Learned about this in Oceanography - I agree