Thread The Dumb Tech Thread

Duke

. . first name's "Daisy" boys
May 12, 2008
Brandon, FL
Marklar
₥36,352
Since we seem to stick to topical threads, and there seems to be enough geeks, I think it's time for some sharing of 'really stupid tech'. I'm sure you've all seen a few head-scratchers come up from time to time. Good for discussion, and something to keep us occupied so we don't accidentally watch 'Sarah Palin's Alaska'.

For instance, Laptops and PC's now have their own 'Glory Holes' in new york. yup. Plug into a random USBenis sticking out of a hole in the wall, and get yourself some download to the face. Like any glory hole, most likely, you'll get a virus.

http://datenform.de/blog/dead-drops-preview/

Head scratching IT problems?

One of the computer I have at home, the mouse and keyboard stopped working. I tried other mice and keyboards, and they also didn't work. Formatted the computer and reinstalled windows, and now everything works.. No idea what it was..

Head scratching IT problems?

One of the computer I have at home, the mouse and keyboard stopped working. I tried other mice and keyboards, and they also didn't work. Formatted the computer and reinstalled windows, and now everything works.. No idea what it was..

Hmm, quick question. Are they both USB, and running Windows 7? Perhaps on an HP Desktop?

Dealing with that exact same issue now. Doesn't recognize the USB devices, but works fine with PS2 connections. Was thinking that maybe a reinstall of the USB bus drivers would fix it.

Hmm, quick question. Are they both USB, and running Windows 7? Perhaps on an HP Desktop?

Dealing with that exact same issue now. Doesn't recognize the USB devices, but works fine with PS2 connections. Was thinking that maybe a reinstall of the USB bus drivers would fix it.

Yeah all devices were USB as the PC doesn't have any PS2 connectors. I would have tried screwing around with the USB drivers but I had just recently formatted.

I think the dumbest thing I've ever gotten called for is the time I got called because my boss's computer wouldn't turn on. I went upstairs to see what the problem was and sure enough, it wouldn't turn on, so I asked around, what happened, who touched it... after a little bit of digging it turns out one of the girls thought the computer was too dirty so she decided to clean it. With windex, on the inside, while it was plugged in and turned on.

It's one of those things that you can't really react to because the stupid is so strong I think I lost IQ points just by hearing the story.

But it was way cleaner on the inside.

I had someone kick out the power cable to their docking station last week and then the laptop finally went dead after after it ran out of battery. they were clueless.

another good one...I once saw someone plug a power strip into a power strip which then went back to the first power strip creating a loop with no wall outlet involved. they were clueless as well.

back around '96 I was at an employment agency trying to get a tech job and actually saw a woman put a mouse on the floor and try to use it as a foot pedal like a sewing machine. :lol:

We had a power outage at work and the t-1 line was down, so that meant no phones, no internet. We had to turn our office calls over to the answering service but had no means of doing so within the building (it can be done online) and the lady at the front desk got all uppity with me and said, "Well why can't you use your laptop? It has a battery."

I had someone kick out the power cable to their docking station last week and then the laptop finally went dead after after it ran out of battery. they were clueless.

another good one...I once saw someone plug a power strip into a power strip which then went back to the first power strip creating a loop with no wall outlet involved. they were clueless as well.

back around '96 I was at an employment agency trying to get a tech job and actually saw a woman put a mouse on the floor and try to use it as a foot pedal like a sewing machine. :lol:

Was it a group of lawyers? :fly: