The Dong Thread

So this greyhound has serious, serious separation anxiety. He's torn two crate cushions to shreds already and blows diarrhea in his crate every day while I'm at work. NPR has done nothing over the past two days. He may be more liberal now, but I can't tell.

He whines and whimpers when I walk out the door and I can hear him howling and barking as I back out of the garage. Every day I go home at lunch to walk him and every day he's covered in shit. It takes at least an hour to scrub out his crate and bathe him, making my lunch breaks about two-two 1/2 hours long. Obviously that can't last.

When I'm home it's 180 degrees. Mellow and sleeps all the time. Never makes a sound.

I thought chicks were high maintenance.

So this greyhound has serious, serious separation anxiety. He's torn two crate cushions to shreds already and blows diarrhea in his crate every day while I'm at work. NPR has done nothing over the past two days. He may be more liberal now, but I can't tell.

He whines and whimpers when I walk out the door and I can hear him howling and barking as I back out of the garage. Every day I go home at lunch to walk him and every day he's covered in shit. It takes at least an hour to scrub out his crate and bathe him, making my lunch breaks about two-two 1/2 hours long. Obviously that can't last.

When I'm home it's 180 degrees. Mellow and sleeps all the time. Never makes a sound.

you need to work on the separation anxiety bit by bit.

take the first few steps you do when leaving, like putting him in his crate, picking up your keys, etc., then undo them and let him out.

then go a bit further, go in the next room for five minutes, then reverse again.

work your way up to going out for an hour and coming back. eventually he'll be fine when you're gone for hours.

I thought you were rich why do you have to work?

Anyway, so here's a cute thing you could do. You could sleep with a blanket or something and throw it in his crate so it has your scent. You can put a radio on so he thinks someone's home. You can try putting him in the crate for a little bits of time while you're home so he knows its ok to be there.

I thought you were rich why do you have to work?

Anyway, so here's a cute thing you could do. You could sleep with a blanket or something and throw it in his crate so it has your scent. You can put a radio on so he thinks someone's home. You can try putting him in the crate for a little bits of time while you're home so he knows its ok to be there.

Yeah, that is cute. I love coming home to my clothes and blankets and towels saturated with shit. Everything that goes into his crate comes out brown.

Blankets - no thanks. covered in shit.
Radio - NPR stream on my computer
Crate time - He goes in there on his own and sleeps sometimes while I'm there

You may have to SERIOUSLY tire his ass out in the morning, that could be tough with a greyhound...

I already get up at 5:45 and walk his ass for 20 minutes after feeding him, during which time he evacuates his bowels. I'm not going to get up at 4:30 in order to engage in a daily doggie Olympiad for fuck's sake.

This is why Lu is in daycare and why we got the 2nd dog for when we're in the house.

picture.php

She would howl, scream (like someone is removing her toes by force), yelp, cry, bark, then she'd rip everything apart she could find, and finally ended up digging 12 holes in the carpet ranging in size from a silver dollar to removing (to the subfloor) the entire carpet in front of the bathroom... which is like a 2x3 foot area... to the subfloor.

All of the stuff I read about separation anxiety didn't work... we tried everything, even peromones and doggie downers.

I think it's physical for him and emotional for me. :mad:

When we take Lu to daycare, she's sleepy the entire next day, so rather than waking up earlier to do doggie olympics, is there anyway you can run his ass to the ground in the evenings?

When we take Lu to daycare, she's sleepy the entire next day, so rather than waking up earlier to do doggie olympics, is there anyway you can run his ass to the ground in the evenings?

I don't run. Hate it, and not built for it. So no, that's not possible. I walk him for at least an hour every single night.

I guess if he has to sit in his crate and whine every day for a year he'll eventually get used to it, right?

I guess if he has to sit in his crate and whine every day for a year he'll eventually get used to it, right?

I guess it depends on the dog. Lu never got used to it, well not in 2 years... we got used to her until we got the nasty gram on our door saying GTFO with the dog.

She still has separation anxiety, when we drop her off for daycare, we have to be sure that she walks out of the room while we're still there because if she sees us walk out the door she flips the frak out... and she loves daycare.

When we take her to work, we can't even leave her alone long enough to go to the bathroom without her screaming and howling. :eek:

No, no, sometimes dogs don't get over it.