The Dong Thread

we absolutely LOVE our Schnoodle (shnauzer/poodle mixx).

small, smart, cuddly, lap dog.

eats very little in terms of $$$.

they breed the poodle into em bec poodles dont shed from what I understand. he's black, and I NEVER have lil black hairs on my white shirts before I head out. some peoples' houses you can't even sit down cause its a wrap on the hair on your clothes.

he very, very rarely has accidents in the house, but if he does they're the size of a spark plug.

likes to play fetch. learn trix, etc.

I'm not sure where this came from but I was asking a legitimate question. Do you react this way when people normally ask you to support your beliefs or is it because you can't read my attitude via internet?

Now you have no idea what my situation is and you have no idea what has happened.

I'm pretty sure that reaction isn't because of me. I didn't deserve to be spoken to like that. I know you are having a tough time right now and I hope you work through it. If you need someone to talk to and can show me an ounce of respect then please feel free to PM me.

damn.

:eek: you have friends?

By 'friends' I mean one or two people on another message board.

By people I mean my alts.

Here's me at my last birthday party.

1220073737634.jpg

Well, I think of rescues as shelters with a dress code; they're just a little more exclusive. So I lump those two together into one bucket. After owning lots of dogs and knowing a ton more, I think shelter/rescue dogs are better temperament. Why? Pet shop dogs and bred dogs both suffer from poor socialization. Socialization is the key to a good dog. Both pet shop and bred dogs are separated from the litter while very young, don't get to interact with other animals, almost never get to interact with animals not in their litter, and don't interact with a lot of people. Shelter/rescue all have interacted with lots of animals and people and, on average, are better tempered for it.

Let's not mix words though. Your animal is a direct representation of you and how you have raised it. If you have a bad dog, its your fault. Animals may have had a bad start, but I have met no animal I couldn't rehabilitate. Don't believe me? Ask Spange about Daisy or Monkey. Ask Blondie and Erage how their crazy old cat responded to me ... the one that doesn't like anyone. Does that mean everyone who can't bring back marginal pets is a bad person? No, but you need to recognize what you can handle up front when you get an animal and match it to your ability to raise him. Not doing that makes you a bad person.

As for health, pet shop dogs come from mills where the animals are products, not living things. You do the math there. Breeders are selling you the dogs they don't think are good enough to be show dogs. Read that again : they sell you the dogs that are substandard to the breed. Rescue/shelter dogs have at very least been checked, spayed/neutered, and given all its shots *very* recently. Most have been in care long enough to have started to go to the vet regularly. Since these dogs are also grown, its a bit easier to spot any possible health issues and avoid what you can't handle. As already said, mutts tend to be healthier than pure breeds because they mix up the genes and end up with less inherited problems.
I think I have to agree with you 100% here. Admittedly my dog is from a pet store *cringe* but she is one of the most well adjusted and socially sound dogs I've ever seen, it's a matter of how the owners handle the dogs and what they're exposed to. My mom has one rescue dog and two purebred dogs and they're a real mess... simply because she fails to treat them like dogs.

Some toy breeds simply can't hold it for 8-10 hours while you're at work. Its do it on the pad or do it in your shoes. Bigger dogs, yeah, you shouldn't need pads.
again, agreed. I know potty pads seem disgusting (really, it's not too much different from a litterbox if you do it right), but it is either that or the carpet, we don't leave Lu home alone anymore period, she goes to daycare or to work with us, but overnight, she can't hold it all night and she doesn't always wake us up so we have the pads out.

You dropped your "h". Here ... *hands h*
Word. Amelie sheds and she's short hair and doesn't have any undercoat at all.
Lu too, she sheds like crazy and has a very short tight coat with no undercoat, she sheds worse than the cats.
Good food makes a difference in dog gas too. Nothing stinks worse than dog farts. Helps their health too. Also : if you never feed your dog "people food" they won't know what it is. Subsequently, you will never have beggars.

Rad concept, jump on that. If nothing else, spend some time one on one with the dog before you take him home if you don't do this program. Get down to their level and see how they react to you, don't just tower over them.
I'm glad to see you posting again, you've always been sensible, I kinda missed it.

I've exclusively had pound dogs but have always wanted a flat coated retriever...awesome dogs...I've had shepherd and rott mutts since I was a kid

flat-coated.jpg

The greyhound adoption league here has numerous dogs available, so I'm going to check them out too. Apparently they make fantastic pets. Theac didn't you guys adopt a bunch of those or something?

they're a bit mincy but in your sized place you might look at italian greyhounds...with some luck it might pull you some ass like this :p

Italian_Greyhound.jpg

from what I understand about retired greyhounds is that you cannot usually have cats since they look like what is chased at the race park. Theac has cats and a greyhound and they coexist wonderfully tho.

ummm, I'm late to the party. Dogs that don't shed are nice. Since you're leaning towards a lab see if you can find a labradoodle for less than an arm and a leg.

alternately scan you local shelter and see what comes up.

The size of your place could be an issue with a big dog unless you absolutely definitely walk it every day for a long time.

:lol: awesome pics chikken :D

your insurance actually bans rotts? :wtf: there is no such thing as a bad breed, only shithead owners