Ontopic The Burqa

Are you for or against the Burqa?

• Total voters
The underlying concern is public oppression of women, and the covering of one's face in certain situations where it may be a risk to do so.

The government know they can't control how husbands treat their wives. But they know they can control what they do in public.

Where does it stop though? Doesn’t this set a precedent for banning other religious symbols?

Not if its the woman's choice.

And if its not, then these women who are being controlled by their husbands will have to stay at home to observe their religion. The only thing that is changing is now they are oppressed by two entities.

If the underlying concern of the government is the safety and free will of these women, banning the burqa won't cut it.

well said.

furthermore, it is already illegal to control a person against their will. no need to start specifying exactly what forms of control should be made more illegal.

There are certain places where it shouldn't be allowed (ie, you can't wear a ski mask into a bank) but I don't think the government has a place to be telling someone what they can't wear out on the street.

If you can wear a swastika t-shirt and throw a Nazi salute (well, you can in the US, anyway), you should be allowed to wear a burka.

There are certain places where it shouldn't be allowed (ie, you can't wear a ski mask into a bank) but I don't think the government has a place to be telling someone what they can't wear out on the street.

If you can wear a swastika t-shirt and throw a Nazi salute (well, you can in the US, anyway), you should be allowed to wear a burka.

You can't wear a swastika in Germany.

it's a religious custom.

Let me ask you this.

Would you be ok with some religion (doesn't matter which one) coming out of nowhere with this new tradition that requires wives in that religion to wear a leash?

How could government/society condone such a display of sexism? Just because some wacky Muslims decided to do things differently doesn't make it right or ok.

Let me ask you this.

Would you be ok with some religion (doesn't matter which one) coming out of nowhere with this new tradition that requires wives in that religion to wear a leash?

How could government/society condone such a display of sexism? Just because some wacky Muslims decided to do things differently doesn't make it right or ok.

I'd join

were you there? how do you know they didn't?

KEEPS GOING ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON, AND ON

you can't display them in russia, either. the military memorabilia store i was in that sells nazi stuff has every swastika covered with an orange sticker.

not that this in any way related to the discussion at hand.

Should I ask why you were shopping for Nazi stuff in the first place?

Let me ask you this.

people already voluntarily wear leashes.

Let me ask you this.

WHO CARES WHAT PEOPLE WANT TO DO WITH THEMSELVES?