Hawt The Blatantly Misogynistic Man Thread

So my friend who runs a local tech shop just got himself a wood cutting CNC. He's planning on using it for making signs and stuff, and he wants to do an inagural "kickass project" on it.

I've got a big 13x19"x1.5" edge grain cutting board that someone gave me, a sink cutout from a hardwood countertop - not sure exactly what wood it is. It's too damn big and heavy for serving food, and I prefer cutting on plastic cutting boards... so I think we're gonna turn it into a guitar body.

He'll probably want to make something elaborate/badass that shows off the CNC, I'm more inclined to do something more conservative like a Tele copy with a comfort contour added or something.

hmm.

what did he get?

We'll cut one out of scrap first, obsv.

To make something a bit more showy I could do a Thinline telecaster, but I'd have to do a thin back instead of a thin front to preserve the cutting board look, and the front would have to get CNCed on both sides, but that's fine. Adding the back would let me pad out the thickness from 1.5 to the usual 1.75 fender thickness too - just have to find some appropriate wood to fire on the back.

@Mustard Dispenser it's some noname machine from Shenzhen. Takes a 4x8 sheet, has a tool changer and a 4th axis that bolts on and some other cool features.

Make sure he looks into upcut Vs downcut for the surface finish as well.

The grain in wood makes for weird shit when cutting.
Yup, got no shortage of things to read about. I know a fair bit about CAM for aluminum but conventional vs climb milling, cutter speeds etc... for wood are new stuff to me. Lots of stuff to learn.

I'm gonna hit up the local hardwood store after work. Thought about buying an off the shelf neck, but after watching a bunch of youtube videos of people CNCing guitars, and realizing how many CAD files are already available up on grabcad etc, I might CNC the whole guitar including the neck.

• Gravy
Reactions: Mr. Argumentor
Would something with a contoured/arch top ala Paul Reed Smith or Les Paul show off machine capability more?

Might look kinda weird with all the edge grain. Could add a contoured back piece for thickness. Route for binding, etc.

• Gravy
Reactions: nukes and wetwillie
Would something with a contoured/arch top ala Paul Reed Smith or Les Paul show off machine capability more?

Might look kinda weird with all the edge grain. Could add a contoured back piece for thickness. Route for binding, etc.
I was thinking it would be awfully heavy. Definitely no danger of neck dive.

I was thinking it would be awfully heavy. Definitely no danger of neck dive.

Brian May made one from some centuries old oak fireplace mantel. Bet it was heavy too.

Neck dive is mostly about shape/balance and attachment points. Thunderbird can be heavy af and still have the worst neck dive.
Upper horn or some way to get a strap button out at least close to the 12th fret or at least beyond the 15th = no neck dive regardless of body weight.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
Brian May made one from some centuries old oak fireplace mantel. Bet it was heavy too.

Neck dive is mostly about shape/balance and attachment points. Thunderbird can be heavy af and still have the worst neck dive.
Upper horn or some way to get a strap button out at least close to the 12th fret or at least beyond the 15th = no neck dive regardless of body weight.
Agreed on the attachment points and shape. I think a cement Thunderbird would still dive.:rolleyes: I drilled out a wooden chess rook and ran a long screw to hold the strap button on mine. Almost perfect but I'm still putting it down to tie my shoes or fiddle with pedals. Looks cool but not my favorite bass.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
Agreed on the attachment points and shape. I think a cement Thunderbird would still dive.:rolleyes: I drilled out a wooden chess rook and ran a long screw to hold the strap button on mine. Almost perfect but I'm still putting it down to tie my shoes or fiddle with pedals. Looks cool but not my favorite bass.

The chess piece is a cool idea.

• Gravy
The chess piece is a cool idea.
Thanks. Did similar on my BC RIcc Warlock tan & black. Bought a piece of nice ebony, made it into a nice diamond/parallelogram which made running a 3 1/2" inch screw look very fairly factory. Used a second screw and thin layer of black RPV to make sure it didn't wiggle, yet was removable for resale.

Last edited:
  • Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
Thanks. Did similar on my BC RIck Warlock tan & black. Bought a piece of nice ebony, made it into a nice diamond/parallelogram which made running a 3 1/2" inch screw look very fairly factory. Used a second screw and thin layer of black RPV to make sure it didn't wiggle, yet was removable for resale.

I should come up with some non-phallic extension piece for my Epi.T-bird seeing as the only thing people know how to make around here is dildos.

• Gravy
Plan is still to do a Tele clone.

I just love how a Tele feels. It's heavy (but not Les Paul heavy, which is too damn heavy) and well balanced, the neck feels great, the 25.5" scale works with my big fingers. The guitar just stays in place when you're playing it without feeling like it's going to fall over, the strap doesn't tug on your clothes, etc... it stays out of the way and lets you focus on the task at hand.

About the only thing I'd change is adding a strat-esque (but maybe not as pronounced) "comfort curve" to the front of the body, so the corner of the guitar digs into my forearm a bit less when I'm playing it sitting down.

Doing a Thinline version will lighten the guitar a bit and possibly throw off the balance, I think I gotta hit up a guitar store and do a bit of comparison.

Ended up leaving work too late yesterday, so I went by the hardwood store on my way to work. fuuuck I love that store...

20 bucks CAD for a 40" long piece of 12/4 maple that just screams "neck through body". Beautiful looking piece of cocobolo that'll make an amazing fingerboard. Scrap bin full of all sorts of bloodwood and purple heart and zebrawood and other shit I can poke on the sides of the neck to build the body. Hnnnngh...

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer and Domon
Ended up leaving work too late yesterday, so I went by the hardwood store on my way to work. fuuuck I love that store...

20 bucks CAD for a 40" long piece of 12/4 maple that just screams "neck through body". Beautiful looking piece of cocobolo that'll make an amazing fingerboard. Scrap bin full of all sorts of bloodwood and purple heart and zebrawood and other shit I can poke on the sides of the neck to build the body. Hnnnngh...

if i had a hardwood store on my way home from work peanut would probably divorce me.

I took almost 1000BF out of our downstairs hallway last week. All molded and finished trim.

That hallway needs to stay clear... and i need to find a place to put 1000bf of finished trim until i can get it up.