Hawt The Blatantly Misogynistic Man Thread

use a nail gun like a real man.

Nails end up backing out of fences and decks over time.
You use those if you're gonna speed fence the place because it adds enough value to make sense in the sale listing you're gonna post upon completion of the fence.

If you're gonna live there for a while you use exterior grade screws.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
Nails end up backing out of fences and decks over time.
You use those if you're gonna speed fence the place because it adds enough value to make sense in the sale listing you're gonna post upon completion of the fence.

If you're gonna live there for a while you use exterior grade screws.
Never had that happen to me. Maybe you should be using the correct nails for the application (16d for rails and 6d for pickets, galvanized for treated or raw pine) instead of whatever's on sale at Homer Depot.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
Never had that happen to me. Maybe you should be using the correct nails for the application (16d) instead of whatever's on sale at Homer Depot.

The ones with ridges or spiral on them are a good improvement over plain nails. Screws are still better.

• Gravy
Reactions: Immigrant
The ones with ridges or spiral on them are a good improvement over plain nails. Screws are still better.
Those are called ring-shank nails and they're obviously what you should use outside.

Screws are neither a better fastener nor a time save when compared to ring shanks in a deck or fence application.

Those are called ring-shank nails and they're obviously what you should use outside.

Screws are neither a better fastener nor a time save when compared to ring shanks in a deck or fence application.

Got a lot of wild humidity swings and rainy days there in Albuquerque?

I'd go with the nails, either ring shank or spiral(grip-Rites). Quality screws are nice if you think the fence is going to be abused and you may be replacing boards regularly. But slower for installation. 300' of fence - that's a lot of screwing @fly, even hand nailing would be merciful compared to screwing.

• Gravy
Reactions: Immigrant
Yeah, that's something that would just sit in my garage though. :hs:

edit: I'm somewhat surprised that Harbor Freight doesn't sell them. That might be worth it.

HD rents all kinda stuff. Don't know if they do something that small but it won't hurt to ask.

Stuff I rented there has been bigger one-time stuff. Floor sander, concrete mixer, pressure washer, etc.