Ontopic The Automated World?

Robots already replaced humans in a lot of jobs entirely.

Again, the difference this time is that in the past the robots were being used to replace human muscles. We're only now entering the stage where they're replacing human brains.

Except that just because we have a robot that drills holes in wood doesn't mean people don't need countless other things too.

Like, who knew we needed holes in wood until someone (not a robot) did it. We're not done with ideas.

I don't see a robot, programmed by humans, coming up with "no. this is all wrong, 100%. scrap it all and do it in this totally new way with stuff that no one knew about. You're welcome." :lol:

says someone t

says someone thats never washed clothes by hand.
this is not true.:p I have resigned to being partially nekkid while camping and resigned to letting hand washed jeans somewhat dry hanging over a horse tether.

edit: also, coincidentally, I have a pair of running shorts that I'm in the middle of handwashing because I fried some melrose peppers over the weekend & the light gray shorts have (hopefully had) splash spots all over the front!

Last edited:
Except that just because we have a robot that drills holes in wood doesn't mean people don't need countless other things too.

Like, who knew we needed holes in wood until someone (not a robot) did it. We're not done with ideas.

I don't see a robot, programmed by humans, coming up with "no. this is all wrong, 100%. scrap it all and do it in this totally new way with stuff that no one knew about. You're welcome." :lol:

The robots will do more than drill holes. They will do the entire assembly process.

You're right, there will always be people coming up with new stuff. But the idea is that we won't come up with new stuff fast enough to account for all the jobs that will be automated away.

And there's already really advanced narrow AI out there that's coming up with stuff and telling us we're wrong. I posted above that Watson diagnosed a patient that other doctors had diagnosed incorrectly because it was able to look at far more data than any one human ever could.

• Gravy
Reactions: Amstel
The robots will do more than drill holes. They will do the entire assembly process.

You're right, there will always be people coming up with new stuff. But the idea is that we won't come up with new stuff fast enough to account for all the jobs that will be automated away.

And there's already really advanced narrow AI out there that's coming up with stuff and telling us we're wrong. I posted above that Watson diagnosed a patient that other doctors had diagnosed incorrectly because it was able to look at far more data than any one human ever could.

I've said it before. whoever opens a robot repair tech college that can get gov't funding will be the wealthy guy!

• Gravy
Reactions: my little brony

I don't see a robot, programmed by humans, coming up with "no. this is all wrong, 100%. scrap it all and do it in this totally new way with stuff that no one knew about. You're welcome."
Previously humans would design antennae for various transceivers based off of certain formulae, prior experience, etc etc.

Automation stepped in, simulations started being run, computers designed antennae better than any made by man.

Sure, we have to give some direction, but nowhere near what we used to.

Previously humans would design antennae for various transceivers based off of certain formulae, prior experience, etc etc.

Automation stepped in, simulations started being run, computers designed antennae better than any made by man.

we had to know we need an antennae.

cl

clearly you dont know any antenna wizards. Those fuckers are magical.

I could see that on some areas for smaller tattoos. But if you hit the emergency stop due to pain & move how do you get the remainder of the ink lined up???

if they can get lasers to track your eye well enough to resume slicing open your cornea without human interaction I don't think it'll be a problem for tats

• Gravy
Reactions: Mr. Argumentor