Ontopic The Automated World?

We can't all subscribe to the Evelyn Waugh style of cut to the chase the fuck already but here goes :

Dystopian heaven = Hell

• Gravy
Reactions: nukes
For now.

A robot that builds your product may not be economically feasible today but Shirley you don't think there's anything your humans on the line do that a robot couldn't do eventually for cheaper, right?

I'm sure you can think of a scenario or two in your company where a few tasks could have enough automation that some of the people involved become redundant.
"Eventually" anything could happen, we can't predict the future. If the ass falls out of the market and we can only make a fraction of the number of products we were able to make, yeah there might be job losses - but that's gonna be the case regardless of whether we automate or hire extra people. There's also the fact that our competitors are probably also looking into automation. If we don't and they do, and they start selling their products for less than our manufacturing cost, we all lose our jobs. So doing what we're doing is a no-brainer.

I don't think that the latest robotics and automation technology is necessarily a new thing, machines have been replacing people for centuries. Society adapts to change and gets by. Do you think mechanized farming was a bad idea because it put people out of work?

• Gravy
Reactions: my little brony
Not at all, I don't think automation is bad at all. I think it's an inevitability (assuming we remain in this relatively stable and prosperous time) that we simply have to plan for.

Machines replacing replacing human labor isn't new. The difference is that in the past we've been using machines to replace human muscles, now we're using them to replace human brains.

• Gravy
Reactions: Hoff Kinkmeister
I welcome automation. The more automation the easier life will be. UBI will be excellent, remove mass amounts of stress from society, free up time for people to be more community oriented.

It's going to be fan fucking tastic

• Gravy
Reactions: Hoff Kinkmeister
A computer is smart enough to fix itself and handle the stupidity of its users?

That's certainly one of the goals and a lot of progress is being in made in self repairing networks.

If 10 computers replace 100 people and it only takes one person to fix them that's a lot of people who have to find new work in a field that isn't being automated away.

The automation revolution isn't about every job being handled by a machine, it's about enough jobs being handled by machines to cause a problem.

I welcome automation. The more automation the easier life will be. UBI will be excellent, remove mass amounts of stress from society, free up time for people to be more community oriented.

It's going to be fan fucking tastic

I completely agree assuming it actually happens. A UBI is a very hard thing to sell but it might be the only way to do this without food riots.