Ontopic The Automated World?

nukes

I Eat Buttholes Raw
Apr 15, 2016
Here
www.upyourassnotmine.com
Marklar
₥123,213
I had a horrible debate with a client late yesterday afternoon about automation.
His theory was that when all labor is automated in xx years, capital will cease to exist and The State will benevolently take care of us.
Okok so he jerks off to Das Kapital so what, it's a fetish...
Who am I to judge?

I have a different theory.
I think humans need labor to feel worth.
Forget about capital and how we pay the rent for a second.

Consider Gene Roddenberry's Federation. They magically worked out capital and food and energy etc etc...
Thing about the Star Trek universe is, they have goals and tasks and productivity.
What about people in that universe who aren't graduates of Starfleet?
Is the post human world going to function chasing Pokemon?

There's a considerable brain trust at UF, many of you make your shekels lining up zeros and ones and helping to create this automated world.
What do you do when AIs write the code for themselves?
Is fishing and cooking and snowboarding enough to have a full life?
Is productivity necessary...

Paging @my little brony to the thread, my little brony to the thread please.

Now that that is done, no, I don't think that will be a good thing for humanity. Personally I believe we'd swing to full hedonism for a bit, then start to swing back the other way to the point where we would still do something that would be recognizable as a job to someone from this era, but will be different in a variety of ways.

Personally, I've done the Fuck-Off-At-Home-And-Make-Your-Own-Schedule game and it emphatically doesn't work for me. I need some sort of structure, even if it is just my own projects, but those projects don't allow much social time.

a860e404e086eaca465a48fa6ce84632.jpg

I think Pokemon Go! is exactly the kind of experiment social scientists are using to see if a rewards based game can make people feel fulfilled and tricked into feeling productive.
@ those who think a world like that would mean "I can do whatever I want whenever I want".
Those who aren't invested in automation (or land and livestock) are going to struggle for food and shelter.
I don't foresee endless Summer surfing safaris for the great unwashed.

Paging @my little brony to the thread, my little brony to the thread please.

yeah I know, I'm getting to it

I had a horrible debate with a client late yesterday afternoon about automation.
His theory was that when all labor is automated in xx years, capital will cease to exist and The State will benevolently take care of us.
Okok so he jerks off to Das Kapital so what, it's a fetish...
Who am I to judge?

I have a different theory.
I think humans need labor to feel worth.
Forget about capital and how we pay the rent for a second.

Consider Gene Roddenberry's Federation. They magically worked out capital and food and energy etc etc...
Thing about the Star Trek universe is, they have goals and tasks and productivity.
What about people in that universe who aren't graduates of Starfleet?
Is the post human world going to function chasing Pokemon?

There's a considerable brain trust at UF, many of you make your shekels lining up zeros and ones and helping to create this automated world.
What do you do when AIs write the code for themselves?
Is fishing and cooking and snowboarding enough to have a full life?
Is productivity necessary...

I think your client is going to an extreme that isn't supported by the trend. Maybe one day capital will cease to exist but it's unlikely to happen within our lifetimes barring some kind of cataclysm.

That being said I'll completely disagree on the notion that humans need labor to feel worth. Drawing parallel to Star Trek doesn't work because they live in a post-scarcity world where energy production is so cheap as to be virtually free to all and they have the ability to create, on the fly, almost any material they deem necessary. A building isn't something that takes months to design and assemble, it takes seconds with an industrial replicator. More importantly they can create food essentially out of thin air, something 3D printers won't be able to do for a long time.

We don't see much of people that aren't part of Starfleet but those we do are people who generally just do what they want because they love to do it. Joseph Sisko doesn't operate his restaurant because he has to, simply because he wants to. While we notice that no one really patronizes his place it doesn't matter, he can still operate a restaurant at an ostensible financial loss to the state because the energy requirements are so relatively low that it's like using the sun to power a calculator.

There are many who do feel value from their ability to generate value in the market and that's fine for them. Those people will still be essential in an automated world because while many jobs can be automated not all of them can be done so cheaply. Manufacturing, transportation, programming, medical diagnostics, legal discovery, even writing news and sports articles are all things already being handed over to machines or at least the intent is there in the form of massive investment into automation engineers. For some of those it already costs pennies on the dollar to have a machine in place of a human, in others it's still prohibitively expensive.

And that last part is the only part that really matters. It doesn't matter if anyone wants automation, it doesn't matter if society is equipped to handle automation. It doesn't matter if laws are written trying to stem the flood of automation. Automation will happens because it'll be cheaper to have a robot take one's fast food order than to ever pay a human. Doesn't matter if the minimum wage is 7.50/hr or 15/hr, the robot will do it for less than a dollar an hour. No human can ever compete.

So once that starts happening in large enough amounts something will need to change. Either we accept that millions of people will become unemployable through no fault of their own and do something about it or we accept an unemployment rate so high that we'll start seeing food riots in the streets. The companies in question will not wait until their customer base is secure enough in their income in order to start automating and laying off workers, it won't matter if they know full well that mass unemployment means they won't have customers. They won't care about that because the transition will be slow enough that the short term thinking of most C-levels will push for as many cost savings up front as possible, to hell with the consequences.

Maybe new jobs will be created to replace them but there are multiple problems with this. For starters you can't exactly expect millions of people who are out of work to simply learn a new trade in order to respond to this issue. The vast majority of the population can't afford to do that now. Many people ripe for robotic replacement - cab drivers, for example - are older and less able to learn new marketable skills. And even if they do most companies will want to hire the younger ones that don't have families to support anyways.

Humans can do just fine when there's no need for labor. Hell, most Americans work their entire lives with that very plan in mind, to retire and do nothing. Many who get bored volunteer or find new hobbies or, if they can afford it, travel. Some even go back to school in their golden years. What makes the retired population different from the rest of the population in that regard? For those who feel the need to have their days structured by someone else I have no doubt plenty of organizations can fill that void without necessitating that the work they do generate a paycheck.

Humanity does not exist solely as a means to turn labor into capital. People can find their value in many other ways that don't require trading their effort for the means to survive.

the rich will never allow that

it'll be the decisions of the rich that create the scenario in the first place. they'll want to save money by automating and reducing their workforce

as the robots get better and better people will be let go at a faster rate, too fast to move into other sectors of work, and companies will need turn to automation even harder to keep those profit margins

At that point we (hopefully without many baby boomers left to skew the numbers) will need to decide whether or not a universal basic income is the most effective means of ensuring society doesn't suffer a large scale collapse.

I think Pokemon Go! is exactly the kind of experiment social scientists are using to see if a rewards based game can make people feel fulfilled and tricked into feeling productive.
@ those who think a world like that would mean "I can do whatever I want whenever I want".
Those who aren't invested in automation (or land and livestock) are going to struggle for food and shelter.
I don't foresee endless Summer surfing safaris for the great unwashed.

It's not like a group of social scientists got together and said "hey let's convince nintendo and google to make a game for us to study people!"

Still, I'm sure there are people at both companies studying those things. But it's nothing new, mobile gaming just builds on the concepts that had already been learned from other forms of gaming, including gambling. What do you think slot machines are if not a means to reward our monkey brains with noises, lights, and other reward cues so we keep shoving bits of copper and nickel into them?

Livestock might not be worth investing in a decade or so down the line. One of the most important advances we can focus on is artificial meat because our obsession with livestock is one of the most environmentally unsound things we do as a country. It's profoundly wasteful and damaging but we are all too addicted to delicious burgers and steaks. Artificially grown meat and genetically modified food will help cut down on the number of ranchers and farmers we need to sustain our civilization.

• Gravy
Reactions: Hoff Kinkmeister
I meant the rich will still find a way to maintain their superiority and exclusive status, and they can't or won't do that without ensuring the have-nots continue to not-have.

Maybe. Rapid advances in technology are already setting the stage for rapid shifts in how we live. Perceptions on things like sovereignty and capitalism are widening with a generation that grew up with an ever-present access to the global knowledge base.

As the ability of the rich to control the narrative is weakened it's less likely future generations will be tied to the same kinds of traditionalist thought we are. Humanity has a better chance now that the young can wrest control from the old in ways never before possible.

It may not be anytime soon or even within our lifetimes but I think it's certainly possible if we don't allow ourselves to fetishize the past. On the short scale I'm a pessimist and think it's more likely the trumpocalypse will mean my bug out bag will finally be put to use. But on the long scale I think if we survive the chaos of the next few decades then the future could be bright.

Man I am not baked enough for this conversation

it will almost surely skew more Dystopian than Utopian.
This is what I believe as well.
The reason for automation is to cut out cost, not because industrialist Rourke feels sorry for laborer Tom who operates a punch press.
Rourke feels sorry for Rourke for having to pay Tom's hourly wage.
Robot Tom might cost $100,000 and be projected to last for 100 years. Robot Tom would have to be calculated to pay for his cost in wage labor savings.

Personally, I enjoy labor. I also enjoy my time off. I've spent very little time "unemployed" since my 20th birthday, I'm pretty good at the reward system.

I spent about 9 months collecting unemployment (6 months but I got severance then had to fight at a few hearings).
I found unemployment did not pay me well enough to enjoy my time off, besides it was winter in Massachusetts and I don't ski.
I found basic cable unrewarding. Networks like TNT repeat the same movies endlessly.
I seldom think about "retirement".
I'd like an old age where I still had productive activity like running my own recording studio or touring with an old man band or running a crime family out of a strip joint.
You know, just a typical old Jew...