The appalling state of education

Nemo said:
:lol: No not at all, just very supportive and good teachers and all the students are above the average intelligence. Figures we'll do well if everyone there is smart, whereas in public schools a lot of people with potential get held back.
Is this some kind of smart school, or can you just buy your way in?

Nemo said:
Not really, my school (as I just told you) is toooons better than the average public school, and the only schools in my city that are near average are the Christian ones.

smileynev said:
*typical private school brat response*

smileynev said:
Is this some kind of smart school, or can you just buy your way in?

Actually my school is one of the few ones you can't buy your way into. It's got pretty cheap tuition fees (only $12,000/year, which believe me is cheap).

Gave me a good bursary, so my mom only has to pay $1200 for my schooling this year. So yes it's just for smart kids, rich or poor. A lot of stupid parents who happen by chance to have smart kids just don't have the insight to let them try and unlock their full potential in a school that would enable them to do that. Makes me feel all sad.

Nemo said:
Actually my school is one of the few ones you can't buy your way into. It's got pretty cheap tuition fees (only $12,000/year, which believe me is cheap).

Gave me a good bursary, so my mom only has to pay $1200 for my schooling this year. So yes it's just for smart kids, rich or poor. A lot of stupid parents who happen by chance to have smart kids just don't have the insight to let them try and unlock their full potential in a school that would enable them to do that. Makes me feel all sad.
Yeah, they're doomed to failure and a life of agony while being slowly dumbed down by their imbecilic public school brethren...

DW said:
Could be either of two things:

1. Not everyone has your basic level of intelligence. You strike me as a pretty smart cookie :cool:
2. Some people get bored and just don't give a damn. They learn what is interesting to them, but little things (???) like grades in school just don't matter in their world.

I've seen both within my own family.

EDIT: I went to public school for the first eight years of my education, but in my case the die was already cast before I even started school. My father had been a math and science teacher, and worked with me.

Well my brains are one of the only things I'm thankful for that came from my dad. My moms not intelligent in terms of IQ....just in other ways. Maybe if grades don't matter to kids it's bad parenting aswell?

I went to public school before I started HS and that's why I can't understand why the average pass rate is so low. Sure there were some idiots in my school who couldn't even read but half the people there were rather bright.

smileynev said:
Yeah, they're doomed to failure and a life of agony while being slowly dumbed down by their imbecilic public school brethren...

Don't give me prejudice dog feces dude. I've known people who probably had the potential to become something but because they were born into families who expected little from them, they never had the chance. Believe it or not my family isn't rich in the slightest, I lived in free housing for a huge part of my life.

it is bad. i think they should ban calculators in public schools. i didn't get really good at algebra till i took calc in college and they would let me use one. i was talking to this one kid from india and he practically said he had never seen a calculator till he came to the states. he was bad ass at math too.

Nemo said:
Don't give me prejudice dog feces dude. I've known people who probably had the potential to become something but because they were born into families who expected little from them, they never had the chance. Believe it or not my family isn't rich in the slightest, I lived in free housing for a huge part of my life.
I didn't say you were rich. You just have a misguided view on certain things.

ieholly said:
it is bad. i think they should ban calculators in public schools. i didn't get really good at algebra till i took calc in college and they would let me use one. i was talking to this one kid from india and he practically said he had never seen a calculator till he came to the states. he was bad ass at math too.

Yeah my dad was moaning about that this morning. Something about exams being way too easy now and people not being good at Math because they depended on calculators. I rarely remember my calculator to class so I have to do stupid stuff in my head to a certain degree. But I just suck at Math in general. :D

Nemo said:
Acting all defensive.

Nemo said:
Well my brains are one of the only things I'm thankful for that came from my dad. My moms not intelligent in terms of IQ....just in other ways. Maybe if grades don't matter to kids it's bad parenting aswell?

I went to public school before I started HS and that's why I can't understand why the average pass rate is so low. Sure there were some idiots in my school who couldn't even read but half the people there were rather bright.

I think that parenting makes a considerable difference.

My sister was actually my stepsister :eek: so we didn't swim in the same gene pool, and she was already well into school before the "blended family" thing even started. She graduated from school barely able to read, and again it wasn't because she was stupid. I would say she is probably of average intelligence. In her case I think that the attitude of her mother and father, and the fact that no one helped her much in the early years, was what made the real difference.

DW said:
I think that parenting makes a considerable difference.

My sister was actually my stepsister :eek: so we didn't swim in the same gene pool, and she was already well into school before the "blended family" thing even started. She graduated from school barely able to read, and again it wasn't because she was stupid. I would say she is probably of average intelligence. In her case I think that the attitude of her mother and father, and the fact that no one helped her much in the early years, was what made the real difference.

Yeah I think kids deffinately need to be encouraged and learn to be motivated, maybe the whole decline of good parenting and decline of education go hand in hand.

Nemo said:
I just don't like some fatty telling me I don't know what po' folks are like. I lived in free housing around heroin addicts and thieves for 12yrs of my life, I know when people have potential but are never given chances to fulfill it. Like I said, I find that pretty sad.
I understand.