The appalling state of education

Dory

Dory Two Times
Oct 15, 2004
39,346
4,895
673
Robin Hood Country
Marklar
₥6,816.90
Marklar
M6,817
Public education sucks, when I woke up today they had the stats in the paper. For the exams you have when your'e 16 here (GCSE)s the average Briton passes 5/9 (a pass is A-C).

Now, the average for each person in England is 58 points (works out like 18points for an A and so on) and the average for my city is 38 points, infact the BEST public school here only has 51 points. My school has 490 or something.

Why does education suck so much? Is it as bad in America? If this didn't make sense, tough dog feces.
 
H

Harper

Guest
i am very confused. is it like golf? the less points you get, the better you are?
 
S

smileynev

Guest
Wow, no wonder your education sucks. That system of points makes absolutely no sense. Cricket?
 

Nyx

Flaccid Member
Oct 14, 2004
4,683
0
0
Planet Hell
Marklar
₥0.00
Marklar
M0
Dunno about the points you're talking about, but I do know that two of my sister's children graduated from public high school barely able to read. My daughter, who at the time was about 10, was able to read better than they could, and they aren't stupid kids either.
 

Dory

Dory Two Times
Oct 15, 2004
39,346
4,895
673
Robin Hood Country
Marklar
₥6,816.90
Marklar
M6,817
smileynev said:
Wow, no wonder your education sucks. That system of points makes absolutely no sense. Cricket?
:lol: Cricket makes perfect sense. Basically you take 9 subjects, you don't get a GPA you just get graded on each subject. If you get an A in a subject you get 18points, 16 for a B or whatever. The average Briton gets 58points for ALL 9 subjects.

The average person in my school gets 490 points, meaning just better than all As (so a few A*s)

Make sense? Just illustrating how much public schools suck compared to private schools (i.e. mine)
 
S

smileynev

Guest
April23 said:
++

Private schools produce bratty coke addicted little urchins who live off their parents money (for the most part)

Public schools produce well rounded alcohol addicted young adults who live off of their own hardwork (for the most part)
 

Dory

Dory Two Times
Oct 15, 2004
39,346
4,895
673
Robin Hood Country
Marklar
₥6,816.90
Marklar
M6,817
DW said:
Dunno about the points you're talking about, but I do know that two of my sister's children graduated from public high school barely able to read. My daughter, who at the time was about 10, was able to read better than they could, and they aren't stupid kids either.
Ouch. I just don't understand stupid people. Maybe I'm too used to being around people who can string a sentence together but I don't get why people just can't procrastinate and get really good grades like me. It's just hard for me to comprehend how the average person here cannot pass more than 5 subjects.
 
S

smileynev

Guest
Nemo said:
:lol: Cricket makes perfect sense. Basically you take 9 subjects, you don't get a GPA you just get graded on each subject. If you get an A in a subject you get 18points, 16 for a B or whatever. The average Briton gets 58points for ALL 9 subjects.

The average person in my school gets 490 points, meaning just better than all As (so a few A*s)

Make sense? Just illustrating how much public schools suck compared to private schools (i.e. mine)
WTF. That is the most convoluted grading system ever.

And it sounds like your school weights it's grades.

Edit: Wait , if theres 9 subjects X 18 points = 162 total. How the hell do you get 490? Nice education system.
 

Dory

Dory Two Times
Oct 15, 2004
39,346
4,895
673
Robin Hood Country
Marklar
₥6,816.90
Marklar
M6,817
smileynev said:
WTF. That is the most convoluted grading system ever.

And it sounds like your school weights it's grades.
Get graded on each subject you know what your weaknesses are and your whole life doesn't suffer just because you fail Math or whatever. That was just the papers way of telling us how bad we are (the points thing I mean).

What do you mean by weights it's grades? :wtf:
 

Dory

Dory Two Times
Oct 15, 2004
39,346
4,895
673
Robin Hood Country
Marklar
₥6,816.90
Marklar
M6,817
ChikkenNoodul said:
Education is fucked here, seems the more money and programs that get thrown at it the worse it gets too.
Yeah I don't understand it, the only schools with slightly intelligent people here are either private or relgiious schools.
 
S

smileynev

Guest
Nemo said:
Get graded on each subject you know what your weaknesses are and your whole life doesn't suffer just because you fail Math or whatever. That was just the papers way of telling us how bad we are (the points thing I mean).

What do you mean by weights it's grades? :wtf:
tips the scales? Cheats?
 
S

smileynev

Guest
Nemo said:
Yeah I don't understand it, the only schools with slightly intelligent people here are either private or relgiious schools.
*typical private school brat response*
 

Nyx

Flaccid Member
Oct 14, 2004
4,683
0
0
Planet Hell
Marklar
₥0.00
Marklar
M0
Nemo said:
Ouch. I just don't understand stupid people. Maybe I'm too used to being around people who can string a sentence together but I don't get why people just can't procrastinate and get really good grades like me. It's just hard for me to comprehend how the average person here cannot pass more than 5 subjects.
Could be either of two things:

1. Not everyone has your basic level of intelligence. You strike me as a pretty smart cookie :cool:
2. Some people get bored and just don't give a damn. They learn what is interesting to them, but little things (???) like grades in school just don't matter in their world.

I've seen both within my own family.

EDIT: I went to public school for the first eight years of my education, but in my case the die was already cast before I even started school. My father had been a math and science teacher, and worked with me.
 

Dory

Dory Two Times
Oct 15, 2004
39,346
4,895
673
Robin Hood Country
Marklar
₥6,816.90
Marklar
M6,817
smileynev said:
tips the scales? Cheats?
:lol: No not at all, just very supportive and good teachers and all the students are above the average intelligence. Figures we'll do well if everyone there is smart, whereas in public schools a lot of people with potential get held back.