Ontopic The All Encompasing Job Discussion Thread

Duke

. . first name's "Daisy" boys
May 12, 2008
Brandon, FL
Marklar
₥36,363
So, going to put this out here because google is being fucking worthless, which is sad, but it's being worthless because of paid for links, which is also sad.

I had someone reach out to me yesterday about a Data Extraction Analyst job. it's for a varian EHR solution of which I'm very familiar. What I'm not familiar with is wtf a data extraction analyst does. I asked for a job description, and all I got back was the following. Not super specific at all.

I'm trying to figure out if this is the kind of thing I need SQL experience for, or if knowledge of Varian's (big medical manufacturer) Aria platform, which I have a good amount of.

Anyone every heard of a Data Extraction Analyst job before? Google search makes it seem like it's more geared towards a programming heavy type person, but mostly all I get are job posting and not a 'this is what this person does', which surprises me that google failed to find that.

XXXXX is seeking a talented Varian EHR (Radiation Oncology) Data Extraction Analyst to join our team. Primary responsibilities include assisting our clients in support of their Health Information System(s) projects.

Candidate must possess the following technical skills and expertise:

• Consultant should be conversant on Varian EHR (Radiation Oncology) data model and the integration interface / data extraction points contained within
  • Exceptional communication skills
  • Ability to educate other team members

Project Summary:

Integration services for client that is engaged in a project to aggregate Radiation Oncology Patient, Demographic, Treatment, Encounter, Disease, Medication, Diagnosis, Lab Orders, and Results from Varian, feeding into the database model.

Consultant in partnership with our client will be creating a generic solution that could be deployed on multiple practices.

The work can be done remotely with no required travel to the client site.

Temba, his eyes still closed.
Sounds like you'd be working to get various heath information systems interfaced with whatever half-assed tool is currently used.

Where I go for oncology, the hospital maintains a patient portal that I can look at after the fact to see my test results. There's also one maintained by my health insurance provider that does the same thing. I like to assume that there are a billion chipmunks moving data between them, but I expect that's what a "Data Extraction Analyst" would do (though hopefully s/he would be writing scripts that allow it to run whenever, rather than ctrl-c, ctrl-v).

So, going to put this out here because google is being fucking worthless, which is sad, but it's being worthless because of paid for links, which is also sad.

I had someone reach out to me yesterday about a Data Extraction Analyst job. it's for a varian EHR solution of which I'm very familiar. What I'm not familiar with is wtf a data extraction analyst does. I asked for a job description, and all I got back was the following. Not super specific at all.

I'm trying to figure out if this is the kind of thing I need SQL experience for, or if knowledge of Varian's (big medical manufacturer) Aria platform, which I have a good amount of.

Anyone every heard of a Data Extraction Analyst job before? Google search makes it seem like it's more geared towards a programming heavy type person, but mostly all I get are job posting and not a 'this is what this person does', which surprises me that google failed to find that.

XXXXX is seeking a talented Varian EHR (Radiation Oncology) Data Extraction Analyst to join our team. Primary responsibilities include assisting our clients in support of their Health Information System(s) projects.

Candidate must possess the following technical skills and expertise:

• Consultant should be conversant on Varian EHR (Radiation Oncology) data model and the integration interface / data extraction points contained within
  • Exceptional communication skills
  • Ability to educate other team members

Project Summary:

Integration services for client that is engaged in a project to aggregate Radiation Oncology Patient, Demographic, Treatment, Encounter, Disease, Medication, Diagnosis, Lab Orders, and Results from Varian, feeding into the database model.

Consultant in partnership with our client will be creating a generic solution that could be deployed on multiple practices.

The work can be done remotely with no required travel to the client site.

Gotta up your google fu. A data extraction analyst is someone who takes old data formats (in this specific case, Varian EHR), and makes them usable in new versions of the system that no longer use that data archetype, or other systems that use different data archetypes.

Basically, make the Varian EHR data format play nice with other data formats.

http://www.avoca.systems/data-extraction-for-healthcare-guide/

• Gravy
Reactions: Duke and fly
Gotta up your google fu. A data extraction analyst is someone who takes old data formats (in this specific case, Varian EHR), and makes them usable in new versions of the system that no longer use that data archetype, or other systems that use different data archetypes.

Basically, make the Varian EHR data format play nice with other data formats.

http://www.avoca.systems/data-extraction-for-healthcare-guide/

That's what I thought. We developed an in-house middleware piece to integrate all our TPS & EHR/EMR to comply with health data portability requirements, but the skillsets used in creating them are not ones I possess...

It sounds more development oriented but I'm reading through that link now...

Thanks Domon!

That's what I thought. We developed an in-house middleware piece to integrate all our TPS & EHR/EMR to comply with health data portability requirements, but the skillsets used in creating them are not ones I possess...

It sounds more development oriented but I'm reading through that link now...

Thanks Domon!
So what you're saying is that you'd be in charge of telling people about the new TPS format?

i have a bunch of buddies that do this for a living, you just take old databases/platforms/etc and stick them into the latest and greatest. i know a lot of people that work for cerner or have in the past.

You just need to marry a Doctor.

Problem solved.
i need to find me one of those

or better yet

2012-09-21-Strip_225_Sweet_Vengeance_web.gif

So a bit late to the party here, but I have a good idea what this is

We have a huge data warehouse that collects data from a variety of sources (EMR, Survey, Labs, etc). Our analysts work to pull the data out of the warehouse (often combine it with data from systems not connected to the warehouse) and use that data in research projects.

The Project Summary says "client that is engaged in a project to aggregate Radiation Oncology Patient, Demographic, Treatment, Encounter, Disease, Medication, Diagnosis, Lab Orders, and Results from Varian, feeding into the database model."

Sounds to me like they are building a data warehouse.

Job Description says "Consultant ... will be creating a generic solution that could be deployed on multiple practices."

They are either looking for someone to get that data into the warehouse and/or someone who can create a query tool so that the end users can get the data back out.

So a bit late to the party here, but I have a good idea what this is

We have a huge data warehouse that collects data from a variety of sources (EMR, Survey, Labs, etc). Our analysts work to pull the data out of the warehouse (often combine it with data from systems not connected to the warehouse) and use that data in research projects.

The Project Summary says "client that is engaged in a project to aggregate Radiation Oncology Patient, Demographic, Treatment, Encounter, Disease, Medication, Diagnosis, Lab Orders, and Results from Varian, feeding into the database model."

Sounds to me like they are building a data warehouse.

Job Description says "Consultant ... will be creating a generic solution that could be deployed on multiple practices."

They are either looking for someone to get that data into the warehouse and/or someone who can create a query tool so that the end users can get the data back out.

Yup, sounds like everyone realized how badly they need a middleware solution to bridge their R&V software with their EMR software...

I wish I was better at SQL.