Ontopic The 3D printing thread

I keep designing 3d printed test jigs at work using OpenSCAD, because our SolidWorks guy is too busy to do them.

Then they find their way into production and they want to build more and make changes and they're like "why did you make it in that crappy language nobody knows?"... "because the SolidWorks guy was too busy!"

And they then get angrily recreated in SolidWorks.
I legitimately keep meaning to learn fusion360, but every time I start that damn "coin" tutorial, I get distracted by something shiny.

I legitimately keep meaning to learn fusion360, but every time I start that damn "coin" tutorial, I get distracted by something shiny.
I use F360 for most stuff now. There's lots of things I don't know how to do with it, and some things that annoy me about it, but there's lots of stuff that's easy in it but a pain in OpenSCAD. Like rounding edges and putting chamfers on shit.

I can't use it for work though because that's a license violation I can get in shit for.

I still use OpenSCAD for simple shit like bushings/bobbins/washers where I'm just differencing cylinders. Or things where I have a grid of features that I can design once and for() loop into an array.

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum
Cura is pissing me off. Giving shitty results for my model.

Model looks like this:
View attachment 15066

Support looks like this:
View attachment 15067
Can't you dial down the tree support branch angle from 40° to get it to go more vertical from the bed?

You can also turn the support overhang angle down a bit and get more tree that way too. I run 59° for most things, but have been known to turn it down on occasion.

So I got a new heater cartridge and thermistor, installed them and had roughly half a kilo go through the printer before I got a thermal runaway issue.
I was maybe 3 hours from finishing a 56-ish hour print.

I know they're not perfect, but I made some medals for our 5k. :D

WZpNVxb.jpg

• Gravy
Reactions: gee and Jehannum