Ontopic The 3D printing thread

How do I use an object to make a hole? Trying to design my own beer tap for fun and can't figure out how to insert this thing as a hole.

BTW, I know I could just get the design from you @Mr. Argumentor, but I'm trying to learn this shit. <3

What are you using for design software? Fusion 360 has a hole threading feature built in, where you can click on a hole or rod shape, choose a thread type (3/8"-16 UNC is the standard) and it'll thread it for you.

3D printed threads don't usually work all that well by themselves in my experience, I end up chasing the printed threads with an actual tap afterwards to form them into a much better shape.

How do I use an object to make a hole? Trying to design my own beer tap for fun and can't figure out how to insert this thing as a hole.

BTW, I know I could just get the design from you @Mr. Argumentor, but I'm trying to learn this shit. <3
what software you using again? Thats a setting in the software. You import that model, then select the option to turn it into a hole

matt leblanc joey GIF

choose a thread type (3/8"-16 UNC is the standard)
This is what I did, but it did not make the proper hole. So I assumed it was on Thingverse for a reason. I also had a local friend tell me that when he used to do design stuff, he never used the thread tool as it sucked. He always made his own.

Hence my request. :D

I would have thought you’d be pro at inserting things into holes.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly and Domon