Ontopic The 3D printing thread

Probably the beginnings of this happening:

Happens to every Ender3, especailly if you run high tension. I'd order up a cheap BMG clone like this one and swap the thing out.

@gee

Know if you need to do any sort of calibration with this thing to use it? I got one and hooked it up and I haven't been able to print anything since. First layer is just dogshit. I can't seem to find anything about that, but I've never had good luck with install instructions and such

Q5gcus1.jpg

Some months ago, I busted a tooth off the part cooling fan, so I'm looking to replace it with something quieter. The fan hasn't failed, yet, but I suspect it's on its way out.

I know it'll mean printing a new part cooling duct, and I'm OK with that. The Petsfang thinger does a good job, and I can mount 2x5015 fans.

I'm sure that it "doesn't work like that", but can I run 2 12V 5015 Noctuas in series or parallel on the 24V power supply safely? Or do I need a buck converter or something?

If I'm going to swap parts, I want to try and make it quieter.

Some months ago, I busted a tooth off the part cooling fan, so I'm looking to replace it with something quieter. The fan hasn't failed, yet, but I suspect it's on its way out.

I know it'll mean printing a new part cooling duct, and I'm OK with that. The Petsfang thinger does a good job, and I can mount 2x5015 fans.

I'm sure that it "doesn't work like that", but can I run 2 12V 5015 Noctuas in series or parallel on the 24V power supply safely? Or do I need a buck converter or something?

If I'm going to swap parts, I want to try and make it quieter.

Heres your exact scenario.

Running them in series would only reduce the accessible amperage evenly, not the voltage. The voltage is gonna bounce around and kill your fan. And parallel would do nothing

Heres your exact scenario.

Running them in series would only reduce the accessible amperage evenly, not the voltage. The voltage is gonna bounce around and kill your fan. And parallel would do nothing
See, this is why I ask before I do dumb things.

I'm not an electrical engineer, I'm a computer scientist.

If you put a 15V zener diode (1N5929) in parallel with each fan, you can series up two of them. Zener limits the voltage bounce and keeps fans from completely frying, but you might get a bit of odd behavior.

I'd do the buck converter thing in that article.

What are you guys using as a slicer program?
Cura has a bad habit of using 220x220mm of the 235x235mm build plate volume and I can't find anything in the settings to fix it. I think it might be a Cura foible that I can't get around.

What are you guys using as a slicer program?
Cura has a bad habit of using 220x220mm of the 235x235mm build plate volume and I can't find anything in the settings to fix it. I think it might be a Cura foible that I can't get around.
Still using Cura here. Mine seems to take the settings OK, in that it stays 235mm between prints and program restarts.

How old is your Cura install? they had it wrong for a while.

Even if you're using a newer version of Cura, it might have kept your old machine definition with the wrong size.

How old is your Cura install? they had it wrong for a while.

Even if you're using a newer version of Cura, it might have kept your old machine definition with the wrong size.
I'll have to read through that. I'm currently on 4.7.something, but I installed it long long ago

My infill is looking weird. My supports are also looking similarly weird.
New extruder setup not meshing well with the coasting setting in Cura?

E7WBSFN.jpg
Figured this out when I was futzing with something else. The base plate my extruder is mounted to (Petsfang fan base thingie) was slightly loose and was kicking up and down half a millimeter randomly. Threw everything off.