Ontopic The 3D printing thread

I use Inkscape for it.

Open a JPG/PNG/whatever in Inkscape.
Scale it to a suitable size (say, 100x100mm)
Trace it to make a path. I used the paint tool, held shift and clicked on the 4 black parts. Every time I've used a plugin I ended up fighting with it, I find this method works better.
New path will have beziers on it which have to be flattened for DXF export, which might make the image look like ass.
First use the edit paths by nodes (F2) tool, click on the logo, and make sure there's enough points so your curves stay curvy. If not, click ctrl-A, and click the "insert new nodes into selected paths" to double the # of nodes. Do it a couple more times if you have to.
extensions -> modify path -> flatten beziers.

Save as a DXF and cross your fingers.

• Gravy
Reactions: Mr. Argumentor
You planning on using inserts or just tapping threads in the plastic?

Got my own tap handle almost designed, might as well do what you're doing.

After the benchy, I'd print a simple block with a hole in the side of it, to make sure you can drill/tap the hole on the side without any issues. Might have to adjust the hole size, overhangs, wall thickness, blah blah

19101825220191017204201.jpg

it doesnt even look like it took that long to print either from the movement speed of the people that ocassionally step in

@gee @Jehannum @fly @Domon

Thoughts on a website that would spit out STLs for basic parts?

I just spent an hour or two designing an adapter for a LED work lamp. Closed Solidworks and realized I forgot to make this

Its such a basic part that it annoyed me to close everything so I could open Solidworks. Think it could be spit out of a website?

Install OpenSCAD.

// number of segments to divide circles into
$fn = 60;
// dimensions
id = 0.25 * 25.4;
od1 = 0.63 * 25.4;
od2 = 0.40 * 25.4;
oh1 = 0.25 * 25.4;
oh2 = 0.25 * 25.4;

// make part
difference() {
union() {