Ontopic The 3D printing thread

Helping the Z community. The blend doors for our HVAC is controlled by a small motor with an itty-bitty gear train. There's one gear in particular that likes to break, so I'm seeing if I can make new geartrain dildos with herringbone spurs, to more stably handle the strain.

The real problem is that a lot of these guys have rusty actuator arms inside that stick, but to get the geartrain out, you have to free the stuck arms anyway, so it's not likely that once these things are busted, they'll get reassembled badly.

Same/similar type of failure is common on 90's Fords as well from my experience and probably more stuff than that. Just sayin' there could be a wider market than Z's.

I doubt they all design and manf. actuators, gear assemblies, etc. More likely source something already out there and common across at least some different brands.

Same/similar type of failure is common on 90's Fords as well from my experience and probably more stuff than that. Just sayin' there could be a wider market than Z's.

I doubt they all design and manf. actuators, gear assemblies, etc. More likely source something already out there and common across at least some different brands.
I'm not making it to sell. I'm going to put the file up on thingiverse and let people order them to be printed from somebody else.

I'm doing it to give back to the community that's helped me out over the years.

I'm not making it to sell. I'm going to put the file up on thingiverse and let people order them to be printed from somebody else.

I'm doing it to give back to the community that's helped me out over the years.

10-4.
You're one of the good ones.

• Gravy
Reactions: Immigrant
Ugh, I ended up having to do the whole set of gears, because like every single one had damage of some sort.

Hopefully the worm gear on the motor is fine, because I have no idea how to make one of those.

render.png

Man, for a bunch of idiots who don't know how to level a bed, the people in the Ender 3 facebook group can be a bunch of reactionary pricks.

I just got banned for laughing at a guy who was asking whether you should tell "customers" how long it takes to print a thing.

Like, I get that you guys take the hobby serious and all, but fuck - it's a hobby machine, for hobbyists, not a production machine.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
I got banned from the A8 group about a year ago for saying something to the effect of "look, the fact you can replace a bunch of shit on the printer to make the thing less of a fire hazard doesn't excuse Anet from shipping a fucking fire hazard"

My printer isn't exactly an A8 anymore so I guess I don't need to be on there any more.

In other news, Misumi order is in. I still need to wait for a bunch of AliExpress shit to arrive before I start building but that shouldn't be long.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
I got banned from the A8 group about a year ago for saying something to the effect of "look, the fact you can replace a bunch of shit on the printer to make the thing less of a fire hazard doesn't excuse Anet from shipping a fucking fire hazard"

My printer isn't exactly an A8 anymore so I guess I don't need to be on there any more.
Yeah, at this point, I'm not exactly running an Ender anymore either.

I should really get my dual Z axis going, but I really really want that 32 bit board first. It's in one of those "any day now" states.

Yeah, at this point, I'm not exactly running an Ender anymore either.

I should really get my dual Z axis going, but I really really want that 32 bit board first. It's in one of those "any day now" states.
You'll be pleased to know, the most recent prototype of that board now has clamping diodes added to the heater outputs :)

I reviewed the design for him, I'm happy with it.

Last I heard he was just getting some bug fixing with the board in Marlin, but he's got a demo of it running up on youtube now so it looks like all that's taken care of, so it's really just arranging production at this time. He's probably a month or more out, at least in my experience getting things manufactured.

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum
190412374Resized20190412074024.jpg
Slow feeding dog bowl prototype #1

4 Canadian pesos worth of PLA, seems to be doing the job. Annealing it in the oven now, after that it should hopefully hold up in the dishwasher.

Not really, bigger issue is he's done eating in 0.5 seconds and then tries to go after other dogs' food. This slows him down a lot.

Worked first go. 12mm pegs spaced 25mm apart, figured it might be too small when I first printed the thing but it seems to work OK.

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum
You'll be pleased to know, the most recent prototype of that board now has clamping diodes added to the heater outputs :)

I reviewed the design for him, I'm happy with it.

Last I heard he was just getting some bug fixing with the board in Marlin, but he's got a demo of it running up on youtube now so it looks like all that's taken care of, so it's really just arranging production at this time. He's probably a month or more out, at least in my experience getting things manufactured.
th3d just listed it, coming "late May".