Ontopic The 3D printing thread

I do. Up to 10mm retraction by now? 240°C? (230-250° range for this filament) The lower the temp, the less stringing, but at the bottom range I get delamination of the print.

I think the bed being warped causes some overextrusion on the first few layers and that causes a little bit of plastic to glob onto the nozzle. From there it gets just enough build up during prints to string between items.

My thoughts, at least.
What kind of shape is your nozzle in?

Are you using PETG? I've found all PETG suffers stringing, some brands worse than others, but it's always there and you'll probably always need to do some cleanup after a print. I'd use PLA for that job unless you really need PETG.

Also dial back your retraction, 10mm is a lot. Goal of retraction is to relax the "spring" of the filament in the bowden tube and relieve the pressure in the nozzle, not to drag the filament completely out of the heat block. You're pulling air back into the nozzle that has to get pushed back out again, and you're pulling molten plastic into the cold side of the heat break which could mean clogging.

I'd use support from the build plate, or better yet modify the design to put a ring or something to give it more contact area with the bed. Also dial back your acceleration/jerk settings, a thin part like that might flex a bit from being moved back and forth on the Y axis, creating print artifacts.

And definitely use Z hop. You don't need much, 0.2mm or even 0.1mm is OK.

I could use PLA for this. Im trying to avoid opening another set of filament till I have a drier setup, but I've got one open I could try.

I keep hearing to use retraction to solve stringing so I've been dialing in more and more with moderate success.

I really dont want a ring on the base, but maybe something that I could cut off easily would work.

I can haz gluestick?

8xICUGj.jpg

I want to make replica of a token from a board game. Any tips or resources for how to get started for a complete noob?

The library has a 3D printer that I can use for a small fee. I figured it would be cool.

I want to make replica of a token from a board game. Any tips or resources for how to get started for a complete noob?

The library has a 3D printer that I can use for a small fee. I figured it would be cool.
Look for a model that already exists. You'll need a .STL file, you may be able to find them on thingiverse or something similar.
If you don't have an existing model, you'll need to find a program to create one. Blender, Solidworks, etc.

• Gravy
Reactions: OOD
Tonight's experiment: overmolding a cable harness. Making a new cable harness for my Grados.

If this works, and the devcon releases well enough from the mold (I'll be giving it a good dose of mold release) then it'll open up all sorts of possibilities for shit at work.

cable.jpg

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum
Tonight's experiment: overmolding a cable harness. Making a new cable harness for my Grados.

If this works, and the devcon releases well enough from the mold (I'll be giving it a good dose of mold release) then it'll open up all sorts of possibilities for shit at work.

View attachment 6586
Did that a lot at the place I worked at before the current job. I think you'll be happy with it when you get it dialed in right.

• Gravy
Reactions: gee
I'm not sure why you'd care about the surface finish of that part though, aren't you planning to use that as a sacrificial mold for your carburetor mount?