Ontopic The 3D printing thread

Ok.

I was getting some weird results, excessive stringing (which, from what I've read means its too hot) with delamination (which indicates its too cold)
The stock Cura PETG settings were weird, starting at 215. I'll have to do a couple benchys I think.

Ok.

I was getting some weird results, excessive stringing (which, from what I've read means its too hot) with delamination (which indicates its too cold)
The stock Cura PETG settings were weird, starting at 215. I'll have to do a couple benchys I think.
Start with what's on the side of your filament, and benchy it up.

Also increase your retraction. We run ~5mm on the Ultimaker which has a bowden tube.

Fucking depends on the PETG.

Amazon basics, I gotta run that shit at like 238°C. Hatchbox, I can run around 210.
Yeah, I know that. 235 seems to be pretty smooth right now. I'm keeping an eye on it, but it looks better than it did. Not sure how I missed temp settings, I guess I saw that it changed it from PLA and thought it was good to go.

I know I've read somewhere about a setting (or even a separate slicer) that prints the top layer smooth, as in if you have an angled piece it will (within reason) give you a top layer that doesn't have any steps from the angle changes.

Does that sound familiar to anyone? The only thing Google is pulling up is articles on how to fix pillowing

I know Cura has 'ironing', which smooths the top layer of a 3D print.

But staircasing isn't easily fixable, you can minimize it by using thin layers for the top part of a print but that's about it.

I'll look into ironing.

It wasnt a full fix for steps, the only way to do that post-modeling would be some 5th axis printing bullshit, but it definitely helped matters.

I think in have PETG dialed in. Weird vertical lines, though. All three parts pictured here were printed from top to bottom as you see

HbrOmca.jpg

I'd blame something belt related, or something else related to the X/Y positioning of the printer, causing those lines. If it was extruder related you wouldn't see those perfectly vertical lines.

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum