Ontopic The 3D printing thread

Why are so many 3D printers not garbage and why do people buy them if they are?
Buy a cheap chinese printer like a Creality/Tevo/Anet and you're gonna have issues, period.

That's why I recommend a Prusa MK2S to you earlier. Costs 2-3x as much as a chinese printer but just plain fuckin' works.

I'm officially in the bong business. Got a cheque from a bong shop today :)

Bought the Makerbot clone for $250 CAD. Owned by a teenager who didn't know what to do with it, kept running into problems and trying to fix them. Makerbots are the quintessential "in the corner of a high school library, sitting there broken" printer, so this was pretty much the same situation.

Needs some work, but not too much work.
It's there not health and safety concerns? Hot smoke and fire and stuff on a plastic substrate?

Sent from my unknown using Tapatalk

It's there not health and safety concerns? Hot smoke and fire and stuff on a plastic substrate?

Sent from my unknown using Tapatalk

That's one of the first things I thought of.

The other was flavor. Like water out of a plastic army canteen. Does the smoke pick that up on the way through?

Crushed ice might help.

The bong takes a glass bowl that holds the actual burning herb, and there's about 1-2cm of exposed PLA between the end of the pipe and the water.

PLA can handle 250C before it starts to burn. It'll melt long before. Plus smoking a joint or a pipe doesn't burn the fuck out of your mouth, and plastic can handle much higher temperatures than that.

The SDS of the plastic I'm using says you can pretty much eat it without any ill effects, so nothing's gonna leach out of it that'll harm you.

Only danger would be things growing in the bong water, but keep it clean (do an overnight soak in unscented dishwasher detergent) and you won't have any issues.

Besides, come on, you're inhaling smoke. If you're that worried about your health you should be vaping or using edibles instead.

190113515Resized20190112211202.jpg
makerbot clone is a good boy.

Cleaning up the kid's mess. New extruders, new hobs/bearings, new heaters, new nozzles, new throats. Got the left nozzle raised slightly so I'm starting with just the right extruder, once I get the thing working to some reasonable standard then I'll lower the left nozzle and give dual printing a try.

I think I've got it leveled (fuck I hate Sailfish's UI) so it's time to try the inagural benchy.