Ontopic The 3D printing thread

Sho'nuff, the winders lappy 486 connects just fine over its USB 2.0 port, and I got the bed leveled to within .02mm in about 10 minutes.

It's benchy'ing now, after I dialed in the Z offset for the right squish without mangling the BLTouch. Probably should have hot-tightened the nozzle, but I'm just gonna let it ride for the moment. Then I'll start printing upgrades for the printer.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
Ran it out at 150 mm/s, result was pretty good. A little tiny bit of stringing in the cabin, one layer separation on the starboard bow. Guess I can assemble 'em pretty OK.

IMG_20220425_200738995.jpg

You needed a new nozzle anyway.

This statement has nothing to do with 3D printing.
I put the tool steel one on, and now he can't figure out that he needs to slow it down to get a decent print.

I ordered a tungsten nozzle, we'll see what that does. Theoretically, it prints like brass, but wears like steel.

As long as I'm just printing normal PLA and PETG, I shouldn't need to worry about that shit, correct?

And when you change a nozzle, do you have to readjust everything, or is it plug-and-pray?

As long as I'm just printing normal PLA and PETG, I shouldn't need to worry about that shit, correct?

And when you change a nozzle, do you have to readjust everything, or is it plug-and-pray?
Right. If you're printing things with particles in it (e.g. glow in the dark, carbon fiber, fiber-reinforced, or w/e), then those will abrade the nozzle until it's way out of spec and your prints go to hell.

but straight PLA and PETG will come out of a brass nozzle like Columbian tap water goes through @Petunia.

You might have to monkey with z offset a bit when you change the nozzle, but that's about it.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
A dollar for a nozzle??
yeah, I've seen 'em in big packs for less than a dollar per nozzle.

Honestly, you do get what you pay for, to an extent. The brass nozzles wear out, the tool steel nozzles don't wear, but are difficult to print with (b/c they don't conduct heat as well as the brass does). The cheapies in big packs tend to be manufactured to a pretty low standard, though.

For reliable sources of known quality, I tend to see around $2 for a brass nozzle, and around $4 for a steel nozzle.

yeah, I've seen 'em in big packs for less than a dollar per nozzle.

Honestly, you do get what you pay for, to an extent. The brass nozzles wear out, the tool steel nozzles don't wear, but are difficult to print with (b/c they don't conduct heat as well as the brass does). The cheapies in big packs tend to be manufactured to a pretty low standard, though.

For reliable sources of known quality, I tend to see around $2 for a brass nozzle, and around $4 for a steel nozzle.
That's not bad.
So how fast do the better nozzles wear out?

If you put abrasives down brass, not long. Every 3-6 months depending on how much you print, and how picky you are about results.

Tool steel and tungsten don't really have a lifecycle other than clogs (should you not feel like cleaning them out).
So you were saying the tool steel nozzles don't, heat up as well as brass, but what about tugsten, does it heat up well?

If you put abrasives down brass, not long. Every 3-6 months depending on how much you print, and how picky you are about results.

Tool steel and tungsten don't really have a lifecycle other than clogs (should you not feel like cleaning them out).
So it might print a bit better, will print anything, should never wear out, and is pretty much plug and play? Suggestion on which one to get?