Ontopic The 3D printing thread

Yeah, its always dodgy to get it exact from a drawing. In Solidworks I would use the Splines command and tweak them however I want to get them to what I need.

You may be able to turn it into a vector format and then import that?

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
Yeah, its always dodgy to get it exact from a drawing. In Solidworks I would use the Splines command and tweak them however I want to get them to what I need.

You may be able to turn it into a vector format and then import that?
That's what I did. I traced it on a paper, then @APRIL took the pic and turned it into an SVG in Illustrator. I still can't get it to import at EXACTLY the size I need, but I think it will be close enough.

That's what I did. I traced it on a paper, then @APRIL took the pic and turned it into an SVG in Illustrator. I still can't get it to import at EXACTLY the size I need, but I think it will be close enough.
If its just a drawing in the program you can usually scale it, its when it is a solid model that its hard to scale.

Recreating artsy stuff in CAD is a whore and a half. Seriously, try recreating something like a script font by drawing and dimensioning and offsetting lines and shit. It'll take you forever and you'll hate it.

Fusion360 will import SVG files into sketches that you can extrude to cut into faces or make raised lettering or whatever for 3D printing. This seems like an up-to-date guide on how to do it:

Recreating artsy stuff in CAD is a whore and a half. Seriously, try recreating something like a script font by drawing and dimensioning and offsetting lines and shit. It'll take you forever and you'll hate it.

Fusion360 will import SVG files into sketches that you can extrude to cut into faces or make raised lettering or whatever for 3D printing. This seems like an up-to-date guide on how to do it:

True, I didn't know he was doing artsy shit? I just always think of mechanical parts (because that is my experience) and I mean it's great if you can import an SVG but I've been using autocad since I was 7. 99% of the time it's easier just to get some base dimensions and recreate it.

True, I didn't know he was doing artsy shit? I just always think of mechanical parts (because that is my experience) and I mean it's great if you can import an SVG but I've been using autocad since I was 7. 99% of the time it's easier just to get some base dimensions and recreate it.
The guy said it was a drawing, my dude.
:iono:

If I wanted to be able to design and print my own board game pieces what would be the best tool for that? From my light reading the answer is Blender, much more so that Fusion 360 (which is the only think I use right now). Or is there some other tool? What do you guys think?

Upgraded for bigger dildos. Got a Creality CR10 (12x12x12.5 or somesuch) coming in the mail. Gonna transfer all of my bullshit over to it (BLTouch, e3d hot end, petsfang mount, Paquette main board, metal extruder, capricorn bowden tube, solid bed mounts) and sell off the Ender 3 when I refit all the old shit to it.

Creality is selling off some old CR10s for $240, if anyone's looking for an excuse.

Last edited:
  • Gravy
Reactions: fly
So the turntable I use on the reg has some really shitty hinge clips for the dust cover
It was manufactured in 1980 , and its normal for these clips to break apparently.
Its a really shitty design, all the load of the cover is on the plastic part, and the springs pull hard against them even when the lid is down.
They were broken off when i got it, and I had someone local 3d print me some new ones that have since broken the same way as the originals.
I could probably buy new/old stock parts to replace, but Im pretty sure it would end up just like this again.

See the images below.

My question is, should I entertain finding a place that can do 3d printing in metal?
Is there even a place that provides this service?
The parts kind of complicated to have someone just machine it out of aluminum and not cost 300$ each.

1650288644858.png

1650288592054.png

So the turntable I use on the reg has some really shitty hinge clips for the dust cover
It was manufactured in 1980 , and its normal for these clips to break apparently.
Its a really shitty design, all the load of the cover is on the plastic part, and the springs pull hard against them even when the lid is down.
They were broken off when i got it, and I had someone local 3d print me some new ones that have since broken the same way as the originals.
I could probably buy new/old stock parts to replace, but Im pretty sure it would end up just like this again.

See the images below.

My question is, should I entertain finding a place that can do 3d printing in metal?
Is there even a place that provides this service?
The parts kind of complicated to have someone just machine it out of aluminum and not cost 300$ each.

View attachment 15986

View attachment 15985
the plastic bits clamp around the plexi?

I think you can fabbricobble that together if the gap in the plastic "jaw" is a standard size, which it probably is considering plexi