Ontopic The 3D printing thread

Aluminum frame conversion complete.

170604530IMG201706041314581.jpg

Except the damn printer ate its X belt last night, because the X linear bearings are fucked. I've got Igus polymers on the way to replace the X/Y bearings.

Flashforge Finder.

Seems like a pretty basic machine, easy to use, probably a pretty decent educational machine, and $500 USD ain't bad for what it is.

Can one make an LP player that works without batteries or power, like a spring winding watch.

Hand crank record players existed ages ago. Not all that loud, and they probably beat up your records because of the force on the needle.

• Gravy
Reactions: adi
My dad has a hand crank phonograph with passive amplification (big horn). That thing can get loud enough to be painful. Baffles + horn is a very powerful amplification tool

• Gravy
Reactions: adi
Doubtful. You'd need a LOT of stored energy for an electric speaker.
Maybe with a custom design, but I don't know how you'd modulate the sound wave
Ya i thought so too, speakers be power hungry, maybe an added solar source and really efficient tiny drivers

Doubtful. You'd need a LOT of stored energy for an electric speaker.
Maybe with a custom design, but I don't know how you'd modulate the sound wave
Should be possible. Class D amps these days are pretty efficient, preamp won't require much power, spinning the record doesn't require much mechanical energy. You could make a pretty efficient speaker design, keep it mono, and don't try to amplify too much bass.

Making all that run off a hand-cranked generator should be feasible. Definitely off a solar panel (hell, my "green bastard" is pretty fucking loud, and runs 24/7 off a 10 watt solar panel)

Should be possible. Class D amps these days are pretty efficient, preamp won't require much power, spinning the record doesn't require much mechanical energy. You could make a pretty efficient speaker design, keep it mono, and don't try to amplify too much bass.

Making all that run off a hand-cranked generator should be feasible. Definitely off a solar panel (hell, my "green bastard" is pretty fucking loud, and runs 24/7 off a 10 watt solar panel)
Did you ever paint "GB" on the outside of that thing (y'know, for authenticity's sake)?