Ontopic The 3D printing thread

Was talking to a coworker at lunch, trying to convince him to get a 3D printer. After lunch he messages me after he goes down the rabbit hole a bit. He wants the CR10s.

I joke that he should go for something bigger. He asks if the CR10s5 is big enough.

500mm^3 build volume. On sale for $720
Didn't even know they made kits that big. What the fuck.

Big printers suck at making small things. Accelerating a 500mm^2 print bed back and forth doesn't happen too fast.

Printing an air core toroid form for a quick'n'dirty IEC 61000-4-5 surge tester I'm cobbling together at work.

Wrapping 45 turns of 16AWG stranded wire around this, which gives about 10.9uH of inductance. Handles a 500 amp impulse.

toroid.png

Functional print?
h1WltZNh.jpg

Functional print!
4fiCW3ih.jpg

Functional priiiiiiint!
uyIzxq8h.jpg

Functional print.
QGFAJAfh.jpg

@gee

Fucking around with PETG. What temp settings have you been using?
80C bed, I find nozzle temperature ranges from 220-240 depending on filament and whether I'm going for strong vs pretty.

Higher temperatures = more stringing and more burnt boogers ending up on the print, but stronger print.

Last edited:
And are you using a glass bed?
PEI. I spray a bit of Windex on there and wipe it off first, it lessens the bed adhesion a bit, otherwise getting it off the PEI is near impossible. I alcohol off the Windex when it's done.

That method is what Prusa uses on their print farm.