Ontopic The 3D printing thread

Tweak tweak tweak.

Its slamming into the stops for some reason. @Jehannum you ever notice yours doing that?

19012715920190127180020.jpg
No?

Have you got the bed size set right in cura or w/e slicer you're using?

No?

Have you got the bed size set right in cura or w/e slicer you're using?
I do. Its not slamming-slamming, but it sounds like it. If you turn the steppers off and push it into the limit of travel, that's the noise you get.

May be doing something similar as its printing?

For some reason it moves up and prints beautifully until maybe 7-8mm and then stops moving up

I do. Its not slamming-slamming, but it sounds like it. If you turn the steppers off and push it into the limit of travel, that's the noise you get.

May be doing something similar as its printing?

For some reason it moves up and prints beautifully until maybe 7-8mm and then stops moving up
You've got the Z rod lubed and aligned?

I keep the screws holding the captive nut for the Z rod loose, and I use white lithium grease to lube the rod itself.

With the steppers disabled, you should be able to move the X gantry up and down by hand without turning the Z rod.

With the steppers disabled, you should be able to move the X gantry up and down by hand without turning the Z rod.
Thats a no. I'll have to look into that.

USB isn't plugged into anything right now on the PC end. I was seeing if I could get it to connect. It doesn't, but I think that may have to do with the settings from the Smoothieware bullshit from my previous.

^- Cool. Wasn't sure if you sold it or what. Marlin v2 runs on the Smoothieboard and seems to fix a handful of issues. Once the ender's up and running again, haul it out and I'll help debug it.

Anyway it sounds like the Z axis is jamming on your ender. Apparently this shim (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2925230) fixes a Z jamming problem.

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum
^- Cool. Wasn't sure if you sold it or what. Marlin v2 runs on the Smoothieboard and seems to fix a handful of issues. Once the ender's up and running again, haul it out and I'll help debug it.

Anyway it sounds like the Z axis is jamming on your ender. Apparently this shim (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2925230) fixes a Z jamming problem.
I think @Jehannum's suggestions for loosening the bolts and a little lube got it.

I have a Y shift, though. I did have to pause it and add new filament, so I'll wait till this is complete before actually worrying about whether there was an actual fuckup, if it got a little stupid, or if I nudged something as I changed the filament.

J, it appears when the bed heats it may be bowing in the middle. Did yours do that before you started to fuck with it? When I level the edges at cold it doesn't match when its at hot. I know you've talked about the bed doing some weird shit before.

Does the printer do something stupid like turn off the X stepper motor when you try and change filament?

Beyond that just grab the print head, move it back and forth and make sure it all feels smooth and there's no grabbing/binding/whatever.

Does the printer do something stupid like turn off the X stepper motor when you try and change filament?

Beyond that just grab the print head, move it back and forth and make sure it all feels smooth and there's no grabbing/binding/whatever.
I hit Pause Print and it moved to X(0) while keeping the Y and Z static, then I just fed the filament in. The filament doesn't just feed in easily, so its possible I jiggled something.

Something you'll like. When plugged in, but turned off, manually moving anything connected to a stepper motor voltage is created and lights up the display and various LEDs.

I think @Jehannum's suggestions for loosening the bolts and a little lube got it.

I have a Y shift, though. I did have to pause it and add new filament, so I'll wait till this is complete before actually worrying about whether there was an actual fuckup, if it got a little stupid, or if I nudged something as I changed the filament.

J, it appears when the bed heats it may be bowing in the middle. Did yours do that before you started to fuck with it? When I level the edges at cold it doesn't match when its at hot. I know you've talked about the bed doing some weird shit before.
The bed sucks a nut. Just clip down a glass one.

Y'know. Not to jinx this or anything, but Y shift aside, this is setup pretty nicely already. I have a little bit of threading as it passes between uprights on the cabin of the benchy, and a little bit of weird lines on the shell, but its not that bad so far.

Benchy looks great actually. It's a bunch of tests and it's passing most of them.

Small bit of stringing when it's doing the 4 walls of the house. Could be insufficient retraction (most likely), loose bowden tube/fittings, or printing your filament too hot, or some filaments just like to string.

I'm assuming the Y shift comes from you bumping the printer if this happened during a filament change. Try starting a print, immediately hit filament change, let it go to X=0 and then try moving the X/Y - if the printer is disabling the stepper drivers, then you'll want to change the firmware on the printer so it keeps the motors on.

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum
The filament I printed this with was pretty damned old. It came with the Delta printer from what I remember. I had to strip about three layers off of the outside of it before it would stop fracturing long enough to feed into the extruder head. Maybe that was the stringing. I fed some new filament in and started something else. I'm printing Ladybutt something as she's a little irritated at how many printers I have and how many work like they should. So once that is done I'll work on the firmware changes.