Ontopic The 3D printing thread

The printed VW tool worked perfectly.

Since then, I've printed pex locking ring tools for shark bite connectors at a savings of approximately $12,000 USD.

I also knocked out a quick parametric trigger wheel, as it seems like I'll have to make one for the Audi. So, I wrote this up real quick and released it: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6499549

I'll go in and add features like the hole to access the crank bolt, and several slots for the 6 m4 holes on the front of my crank damper.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
I'd do A. Because because with your luck, the screws holding in B will walk loose and the car will skip ignition and you'll be roadside with a broken down car bitching about it on here :)

Unless there's a big reason you want it mechanically adjustable, because you can't do the adjustment on the ECU or whatever.

• Gravy
Reactions: Mr. Argumentor
I'd do A. Because because with your luck, the screws holding in B will walk loose and the car will skip ignition and you'll be roadside with a broken down car bitching about it on here :)

Unless there's a big reason you want it mechanically adjustable, because you can't do the adjustment on the ECU or whatever.
This. All of this. All of this so much that why is B even an option?

Uh, because it's done that way for loads of other trigger wheels.

The slot is set up for a countersunk bolt with a lock washer, and I haven't had bad luck or incompetence bite me with any other bolts in critical holes.
Loads of other trigger wheels where you may not know where the pickup is gonna mount, so you have to build adjustability into it? Whereas, presumably, you know exactly where your 0° point is gonna be?

Universal parts suck.

I'm in awe of you people who can fabricate your own kinda intricate parts.
I just figured out "rotate_extrude" in OpenSCAD and I'm going buck wild.

You define a 2D shape, and it'll rotate the shape around an axis for an arbitrary amount of degrees and make it into a 3D object.

I just figured out "rotate_extrude" in OpenSCAD and I'm going buck wild.

You define a 2D shape, and it'll rotate the shape around an axis for an arbitrary amount of degrees and make it into a 3D object.
That's pretty basic CAD... Not that I'm saying it's an unnatural way to make shapes but ya'll could probably accomplish a lot if you just cracked a CAD textbook. It's called revolve in autocad. There should also be a command to extrude faces along a path.

That's pretty basic CAD... Not that I'm saying it's an unnatural way to make shapes but ya'll could probably accomplish a lot if you just cracked a CAD textbook. It's called revolve in autocad. There should also be a command to extrude faces along a path.
Hey thanks for telling me how far behind an actual professional I am in my hobby. It's something I'll surely act on, you fucking killjoy.

• Haha
Hello. CAD professional here.
There is no right way to make something in CAD (there are wrong ways.)
Revolve is the simplest as you have one drawing and one command. Personally I like to have separate commands so I can tweak individual features one at a time.

Jenkum, it looks like you have the o-ring on the inside of the glass with that? I'd think am exterior seal (where the water is) would be preferred. Just my pennies

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum and fly
Hello. CAD professional here.
There is no right way to make something in CAD (there are wrong ways.)
Revolve is the simplest as you have one drawing and one command. Personally I like to have separate commands so I can tweak individual features one at a time.

Jenkum, it looks like you have the o-ring on the inside of the glass with that? I'd think am exterior seal (where the water is) would be preferred. Just my pennies
Correct, I'm using it as a retention mechanism that won't rattle with vibration. The water tightness isn't a priority as the cavity is well drained.

Hey thanks for telling me how far behind an actual professional I am in my hobby. It's something I'll surely act on, you fucking killjoy.
I was just trying to offer some practical advice. :p Im not a professional either. My dad used to always let us play on his work laptop way back in the day and literally the only program on it was Autocad and he had one of those massive reference books on how to use it.

Snl Season 47 GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Haha