Thread Thanksgiving

Butter in the mashed potato sure, otherwise the consistancy isn't great.

Nothing bland about not attacking your tastebuds with a load of shit. It's the subtleties in food that make it gastronomique, not piling shit loads of everything you possibly can on top of each other. A potato is a potato, it has it's own unique and wonderful taste, why not let it taste like a potato?

Silly Americans.

I have to say I prefer my baked potatoes plain. Completely plain.

Then again I am 50% Scottish....

Yes, my tastebuds are so awful they need an overload of bacon and cheese and cream and pork and turkey gravy and fat to go on top of potatoes just so I can taste something.

That's definitely a sign of a defective palate on my behalf. :D

Haven't you burned off your tastepubs with alcohol or clogged them with fags yet? I wuld think you would WANT to cover foods with lots of toppings.

sorry didn't take any pics. most people can't stomach the idea that my family eat chitterlings on thanksgiving. I can barely stand the smell of them.
But they do make a mean 7-up cake.

Butter in the mashed potato sure, otherwise the consistancy isn't great.

Nothing bland about not attacking your tastebuds with a load of shit. It's the subtleties in food that make it gastronomique, not piling shit loads of everything you possibly can on top of each other. A potato is a potato, it has it's own unique and wonderful taste, why not let it taste like a potato?

Silly Americans.
Hey bitchpants, that is EXACTLY what I said. Mashed potatoes are supposed to taste like potato. Seasonings are meant to be subtle and ADD to a dish, not overpower it.

So a stuffed baked potato is right out? I do like minimalist mashed potatoes but I also like them with toppings. I actually like to eat potatoes prepared in many different ways, and I like every variety of potato I've ever tried. There's nothing wrong with any of this. It doesn't make my palate bad that I enjoy cheese on my potatoes. Smoking did make my palate bad. It has a tendency to do that to everyone. You don't even notice until you've stopped. Anyone who claims differently simply doesn't realize what they are doing to their body.

So a stuffed baked potato is right out? I do like minimalist mashed potatoes but I also like them with toppings. I actually like to eat potatoes prepared in many different ways, and I like every variety of potato I've ever tried. There's nothing wrong with any of this. It doesn't make my palate bad that I enjoy cheese on my potatoes. Smoking did make my palate bad. It has a tendency to do that to everyone. You don't even notice until you've stopped. Anyone who claims differently simply doesn't realize what they are doing to their body.

QFMFT

I think you are underestimating the amount of salt most people are used to tasting. All the stuff people are using as toppings is loaded with salt/savoury flavoring. Cheese has salt, bacon is salted smoked pork, cream cheese is fairly salty. It's just like soda, most soda is sickeningly sweet, but people are used to drinking it and expect that kind of taste.

One of my parents was diabetic for years, I'm used to eating shit where the only seasoning is spicy.

I think you are underestimating the amount of salt most people are used to tasting. All the stuff people are using as toppings is loaded with salt/savoury flavoring. Cheese has salt, bacon is salted smoked pork, cream cheese is fairly salty. It's just like soda, most soda is sickeningly sweet, but people are used to drinking it and expect that kind of taste.

One of my parents was diabetic for years, I'm used to eating shit where the only seasoning is spicy.

Salt is a flavor enhancer and despite the recent media hate, at moderate intake levels (which are easy to obtain when you aren't eating fast food or Applebees) - its not bad for you.

Anyone ever taken the saltine cracker challenge?

You have to try to chew and completely swallow six of them, crumbs and all, in 60 seconds.

we used to do peanut butter saltine cracker sandwiches and then you had to whistle. this was part of relay races in swimming when I was a kid