Texas is doomed!

I have an aunt that won an emmy as a producer of the show 48 hours for staying in charleston and filming all of hurricane hugo which decimated the city...now every news channel does it for every hurricane

One of my ancestors invented fresh water in 1510. It was all salty before that, and kidney failure was rampant.

I have an aunt that won an emmy as a producer of the show 48 hours for staying in charleston and filming all of hurricane hugo which decimated the city...now every news channel does it for every hurricane

I had an great aunt named Emmy. She's actually the person the award was named for.

Ike has gotten his act together. Cloud tops are cooling and the intense convection has almost wrapped around the eye but definitely looks potent in the Northeast quadrant. This should accentuate the surge which is already scheduled to be potent.

The storm is almost looking like the Katrina loop but being played backwards. Katrina fell a part the last 12 hours or so. Not the case for Ike. He looks to be in a solid ramp up both from an organizational standpoint and from an intense concetion wrapping the entire core of the storm (almost). Bad timing for the folks in Galveston.

More in a bit....
Things should start to deteriorate seriously between 5-6pm local time this evening. The system will bring it's full fury in the middle of the night with the eye arriving in the early AM hours. This is a simple time distance prediction based on where the eye is now, it's current forward speed and the hurricane at this time. The storm could slow down or speed up between now and landfall so if you are in the Houstin Glaveston area, if you haven't moved to a location at least 40 feet above sea level well away from the coast then if you can get there now, I would make the move.

Six hours from now it may be too late.

More in a bit....

NWS has issued a Tropical Storm Wind Warning for DFW. I'm going to be holed up in a bar watching college football.

The storm in Galveston is already worse than it was at the peak of Rita, and the eye is still hours away.

The expected surge in Galveston is 19-20 feet, with waves putting the total height at 40-50 feet. The Galveston sea wall is 17 feet high.