Texas Gov. Rick Perry proposes lifting all CCW restrictions

Jonny_B

Erect Member
Oct 14, 2004
Marklar
₥76
Curious to see what KNYTE has to say about this one, but I'll open it up to all y'all.

Perry: Allow concealed handguns anywhere in Texas
By JAY ROOT
[email protected]

AUSTIN — Gov. Rick Perry, mulling ways to stop the kind of murderous rampages that recently left 33 dead on a college campus in Virginia, said Monday there’s one sure-fire solution he likes: allow Texans to take their concealed handguns anywhere.

Period.

Perry said he opposes any concealed gun-toting restrictions at all — whether it’s in a hospital, a public school, a beer joint or even the local courthouse.

“The last time I checked, putting a sign up that says 'Don’t bring your weapons in here,' someone who has ill intent on their mind — they could care less," Perry told reporters. “I think it makes sense for Texans to be able to protect themselves from deranged individuals, whether they're in church or whether on a college campus or wherever."

As reporters began clicking off a list of places where concealed permit holders face restrictions, Perry cut off the questioning and made it clear that he meant anywhere at all.

Under current law, secured airport areas, hospitals, courthouses, bars, churches and schools are among the places where weapons are or can be banned, according to the Texas Department of Public Safety.

People entering federal courts in Texas are routinely required to leave even their cell phones behind.

“Let me cover it right here," Perry said. “I think a person ought to be able to carry their weapons with them anywhere in this state if they are licensed and they have gone through the training. The idea that you’re going to exempt them from a particular place is non-sense to me."

State Rep. Lon Burnam, D-Fort Worth, called Perry’s proposal “a terrible idea."

“Anybody has a right to tell somebody that they can’t bring their handgun into their place of business," Burnam said. “I think the governor is just overreaching in a counterproductive way and it's kind of typical (of the) governor — shoot from the hip, literally and figuratively."

Perry made the remarks at a news conference after meeting with Health and Human Services Secretary Michael Leavitt to discuss ways to prevent mass shootings and enhance school safety. The discussion stems from President Bush’s drive to find solutions to such tragedies in the wake of the carnage at Virginia Tech University.

About 260,000 Texans, who have undergone mandatory background check and training, are licensed to carry a concealed weapon, records show. In the last fiscal year, 180 licenses were revoked and 493 were suspended for unknown reasons, records show.

Going to Texas ttyl
:lol: I thought you'd approve.

I'm fine with several of them, but bars? I just hate to think of so many drunk people being armed in one place, or so many armed people being drunk in one place. It's just asking for a full on gun battle to break out over, literally, spilled beer.

Last edited:
Private businesses should certainly still have the right to ban weapons from their property but as for public places, this guy has the right idea.

Seriously though I totally agree with this. Anyone who is not a felon, of a legal age, and can carry a responsible mindset should at the very least be trained in how to properly handle a firearm, and the more people carrying them the better. There I said it.

The bold part is why I agree with this statement as well.
doesn't it seem like it would be difficult for a private business to restricted the carrying of an item that is by definition concealed from view? it's not like we're talking about "no smoking" here.

Im just surprised that Perry is doing something thats not a carefully crafted plot to fill his pockets with other peoples money. There must be some angle to this that will funnel funds into his accounts.

Im just surprised that Perry is doing something thats not a carefully crafted plot to fill his pockets with other peoples money. There must be some angle to this that will funnel funds into his accounts.

I'm sure he's getting funds from the NRA. His campaign shows him hunting and Ted Nugent played at his inauguration ball!

I'm fine with several of them, but bars? I just hate to think of so many drunk people being armed in one place, or so many armed people being drunk in one place. It's just asking for a full on gun battle to break out over, literally, spilled beer.

It would be like living in the old west (tombstone) during the 1800's when everyone carried a gun everywhere.

:lol: I thought you'd approve.

But that's what this guy is saying, people will have to consider how "loose" they are with their weapons because if one guy gets drunk and starts causing a ruckus with his gun out in a Texas bar, you can bet your ass there will be 10 other gun wielding Texans just itching to take that guy out.

All I'm saying is if this gets passed and you feel like starting some shit in Texas, you'd better be suicidal cause I'll bet the farm that you'll be dead by the end of it.

But that's what this guy is saying, people will have to consider how "loose" they are with their weapons because if one guy gets drunk and starts causing a ruckus with his gun out in a Texas bar, you can bet your ass there will be 10 other gun wielding Texans just itching to take that guy out.

All I'm saying is if this gets passed and you feel like starting some sh*t in Texas, you'd better be suicidal cause I'll bet the farm that you'll be dead by the end of it.

IIRC , your BAC while carrying is supposed to be 0.0.
Thats zero point zero.
If you go to a bar to drink, leave your weapon at home.
If you get caught drinking while carrying you'll lose your license.

IIRC , your BAC while carrying is supposed to be 0.0.
Thats zero point zero.
If you go to a bar to drink, leave your weapon at home.
If you get caught drinking while carrying you'll lose your license.

Which works out great because once you get caught drunk with a gun in a bar... it weeds out those idiots.