Thread Texas goes adstinence only and is now top in nation for teen births

OzSTEEZ

¡ɟɟo ʞɔnɟ ʇunɔ 'ᴉO
Nov 11, 2008
Oz
Marklar
₥25,442
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/shawn-lawrence-otto/rick-perry-abstinence_b_904115.html

Texas lawmakers cut sex ed from two six-month courses to a single unit of "abstinence only" education. But early indications showed that the program wasn't working. In fact, teens in almost all high school grades were having more sex after undergoing the abstinence only program. By 2007, Texas had the highest teen birth rate in the nation.

Nevertheless, the program continued. By 2009, 94 percent of Texas schools, which at the time were educating more than 3.7 million students, were giving no sex ed whatsoever beyond "abstinence only," a curriculum that includes emphasizing that birth control doesn't work.

Instead of providing fact-based information, the programs use fear and Jesus -- over-emphasizing the risks of sexually transmitted diseases leading to cervical cancer, radical hysterectomy and death, together with Christian morality.

One Texas public school district's sex ed handout is entitled "Things to Look for in a Mate:"

I. How they relate to God
A. Is Jesus their first love?
B. Trying to impress people or serve God?
Another public school district uses this:

Question: "What does the Bible say about sex before marriage/premarital sex?"
Answer: Along with all other kinds of sexual immorality, sex before marriage/premarital sex is repeatedly condemned in Scripture (Acts 15:20; Romans 1:29; 1 Corinthians 5:1; 6:13,18; 7:2; 10:8; 2 Corinthians 12:21; Galatians 5:19; Ephesians 5:3; Colossians 3:5; 1 Thessalonians 4:3; Jude 7).
The results? Teen pregnancy in Texas went up -- higher than before "abstinence only," and more than 50 percent higher than the national average. Even more troubling was that repeat teen pregnancy went up -- to the point that it, too, led the nation. It turns out that Texas kids thought that "if birth control doesn't work, why use it?"

It's also extremely tough for teenagers to get contraceptives in Texas. "If you are a kid, even in college, if it's state-funded you have to have parental consent," said Susan Tortolero, director of the Prevention Research Center at the University of Texas in Houston.

But none of this seems to matter to Gov. Rick Perry. When confronted with the dismal statistics during an October 15, 2010 televised interview with Texas Tribune reporter Evan Smith, Perry's response was to reaffirm that "abstinence works."
53594.PNG

• Gravy
Reactions: 1 person
I think the part that angers me the most isn't the God part. I mean, if that works as a deterrent for some, that's great. But telling children that birth control doesn't work is unconscionable. Obviously abstinence works. If you aren't having sex you can't get pregnant, but how many teens don't have sex in this day and age? Grrr.

Well, if TX went adstinence only, no wonder their birth rate is fucked. Abstinence doesn't work, I doubt adstinence does either.

The more you try to ban something and make it forbidden the more people typically want to do it.

If they were smart, parents would provide their kids with condoms and say "It's your choice as long as you use these and watch this long video of us having sex first." Teen pregnancy rates would drop over night.

"It's your choice as long as you use these and watch this long video of us having sex first." Teen pregnancy rates would drop over night.

Tenn suicide, however, would probably take a big leap upwards.

That kind of emotional scarring just doesn't go away.

Abstinence does work. How many chicks have you knocked up by not having sex with them? Trying to convince kids not to have sex is the problem. Abstinence only education doesn't work.

You know what I meant. I was just being lazy by not typing out the entire name for it.

I can knock a chick up just by looking at her.

Simple education of parenting for the kids for be fine. When kids understand exactly what is involved with having a child, they would try to avoid it, and that's as good as you can honestly get it.

they weren't doing abstinence only education while i was in school. guess tx education gets more retarded by the day

It's interesting that I was in Catholic school starting in the 70s, and, in 1979, when I was in 5th grade, my catholic grade school, with it's attached church, actually taught full sex education, including birth control, and negating any message of faith or abstinence. It was just the straight science.

It's interesting that I was in Catholic school starting in the 70s, and, in 1979, when I was in 5th grade, my catholic grade school, with it's attached church, actually taught full sex education, including birth control, and negating any message of faith or abstinence. It was just the straight science.

isn't birth control like pseudo-forbidden in catholic faith?

isn't birth control like pseudo-forbidden in catholic faith?

Technically, it is.

They weren't advocating it. But they were being open about the entire truth of the matter.

In all of my years of catholic school, up to my graduation from high school, there was only 1 girl who ever wound up getting knocked up. And it sure as hell wasn't because we weren't all knocking boots.

Well abstinance education worked for me. I didn't have sex until I was 20. I didn't even hold a girl's hand until I was 18.5 and at my prom.