Thread Texas goes adstinence only and is now top in nation for teen births

And most parents wouldn't go. Part of being ignorant is not knowing, and the other part is not knowing that you don't know.

Like I said, if it was an easy to take course that was offered, I bet enough people would take the opportunity and it would be beneficial in the long run (less deadbeat parents, better kids)

But you turned out gay.

:dont:

That might be a blemish on my record, but I did not have any sexual relations of any kind (even kissing) until well into my adulthood, I followed all drinking laws in my state, I never smoked, I completed high school, completed college with honors, and had a job waiting for me when I walked to pick up my diploma. As far as society is concerned, that's pretty much a success.

Well except for that "procreate the species" thing.

Like I said, if it was an easy to take course that was offered, I bet enough people would take the opportunity and it would be beneficial in the long run (less deadbeat parents, better kids)

But ignorant people wouldn't take a course because they already think they know better. I don't believe you can lower the price enough to make bad parents good ones.

That might be a blemish on my record, but I did not have any sexual relations of any kind (even kissing) until well into my adulthood, I followed all drinking laws in my state, I never smoked, I completed high school, completed college with honors, and had a job waiting for me when I walked to pick up my diploma. As far as society is concerned, that's pretty much a success.

May be you missed out on some key "straightening" events.

Look I don't know. I'm trying to view this as a church-guy and it's tough.

that sounds exceptionally uptight and boring

But ignorant people wouldn't take a course because they already think they know better. I don't believe you can lower the price enough to make bad parents good ones.

well trying to make bad parents not so bad anyway.

Drinking and smoking underage is illegal, not immoral. Marriage is illegal under certain ages (depending on district), and like NOM says, marriage is paramount for procreation. Then it should be concluded sexual conduct with the possibility of procreation should be discouraged until the legal age of marriage or sexual consent. There are state education standardized tests that are required to pass. This is a legal standing, not moral.

Smoking cigarettes under 18 wasn't illegal until I was 17. I wouldn't take anything NOM says with a grain of salt. I passed ALL my state education standardized test while under the influence of some drug or alcohol. I did better on the SAT's while on drugs than I did sober too and it was way more fun. I got to chase those little bubbles around the page and try desperately to fill them in appropriately before time ran out. Those little buggers are fast!

Nope. I am quite ok with that, until I am 18. that's the attitude I had anyway; buckle down on studying so that when I hit 18 I have a better chance of continuing my education and doing something I want to do but until then follow all of the rules put forth by parents and faculty and law enforcement.

I didn't "buckle down" and I still got into a good college and finished a degree. I'm smart and I had every opportunity for a career with job offers when I left college.

that sounds exceptionally uptight and boring

Probably, but effective. I mean just look at how I turned out? :lol:

Lots of people had fun and enjoyed their lives and did these illegal or immoral things you speak of and turned out just as well as you. Just look around you. There's lots of successful people right here on this forum that drank and did drugs and had sex and partied and had a good time and enjoyed their lives a bit. Some of them don't even hate themselves too.

eIK2K.png

This is what I mean by vanilla. That attitude makes me giggle. I don't see getting drunk and having sex and smoking and all as immoral. I see it as fun and I don't think public schools have any business deciding what I do with my own body or making an example of me for it.

No, but your parents should, until you hit 18, and that is where this control should belong.

No. I'd just go all muslim and Honor Kill her....

But, in all seriousness, corporal punishment wouldn't work past a certain age, so I can't see employing that. If your going crazy at 16, it's got a basis for parenting choices in the early years.

Unless it's some kind of chemical imbalance thing.

If you were raised in an education system that eschewed drinking and smoking with the veal mind did and rather promoted their education courses in the same way universities did, you would have second thoughts about engaging in such activities. My school reinforced the importance of studying and preparing you for life in the future more strongly than the incentives drinking or drug taking or being promiscuous did.

That's not to say things didn't happen, but they were so strongly discouraged, people were looked down upon by other fellow students for being involved in such actions. It was peer pressure to do the good things, not bad.
Shockingly. dz~whatever makes a good point. Usually I don't have anything to say because I don't really give a shit about gay-issues.

Negative peer pressure is the most effective tool for controlling adolescents. Sure you can beat them, some of them, but if you make a culture where people who disobey the rules are effectively social outcasts, well goddamn that's just about the best way to control them.

My school did this by making everyone mutually culpable. Someone in your class got caught doing something wrong, two other people got punished. If it happened again 4 people and so on. Homework especially, was strictly enforced. If someone missed an assignment, EVERYONE had to stay after school. There was one kid who never did his fucking homework, consequently he ended up getting beat up so much that his parents took him out of school. God only knows what the punishment for cheating was because everyone was so afraid of doing it they never tried.