Thread Texas goes adstinence only and is now top in nation for teen births

Despite the fact that he likes to be railed in the pooper by men, dbzeag is probably one of the most vanilla people on here. He probably thinks education should include morals and keeping you all straight-laced.

And what do you mean exactly by vanilla? Like Sarcasmo vanilla, or just traditional?

I think there should be very strict standards of learning and if they are not met, severe consequences should be delivered. If you are not passing core curriculum, the "pain" of taking the classes over or removing yourself from sports in order to get private tutoring should be administered immediately. If someone is caught breaking the law, like underage drinking or smoking, an example should be made of them and be made public so as to remind students the proper etiquette while in the classroom and around school grounds. It should be a privilege to go to school, to be prepared to move on with your life given the staples of knowledge you learn. There should be an environment of pride in school for being academically successful and a fear that "immoral" activities like illegal actions or teenage pregnancy would ruin that experience and pride you have in yourself.

This is what I mean by vanilla. That attitude makes me giggle. I don't see getting drunk and having sex and smoking and all as immoral. I see it as fun and I don't think public schools have any business deciding what I do with my own body or making an example of me for it.

I think there should be very strict standards of learning and if they are not met, severe consequences should be delivered. If you are not passing core curriculum, the "pain" of taking the classes over or removing yourself from sports in order to get private tutoring should be administered immediately. If someone is caught breaking the law, like underage drinking or smoking, an example should be made of them and be made public so as to remind students the proper etiquette while in the classroom and around school grounds. It should be a privilege to go to school, to be prepared to move on with your life given the staples of knowledge you learn. There should be an environment of pride in school for being academically successful and a fear that "immoral" activities like illegal actions or teenage pregnancy would ruin that experience and pride you have in yourself.

I would think you, of all people, would be against allowing society to judge and punish what it's members view as immoral activity.

This is what I mean by vanilla. That attitude makes me giggle. I don't see getting drunk and having sex and smoking and all as immoral. I see it as fun and I don't think public schools have any business deciding what I do with my own body or making an example of me for it.

No, but your parents should, until you hit 18, and that is where this control should belong.

They did spank me and slap me and stuff. I didn't care. It did not serve as a deterrent for me. And seriously, you are going to spank your 16 year old daughter for having sex or doing drugs? That doesn't even make sense.

No. I'd just go all muslim and Honor Kill her....

But, in all seriousness, corporal punishment wouldn't work past a certain age, so I can't see employing that. If your going crazy at 16, it's got a basis for parenting choices in the early years.

Unless it's some kind of chemical imbalance thing.

Well the original post was that Texas education is so skewed that people think abstinence-only education prevents teenage pregnancy but didn't and rates got higher. You took drugs, drank, and did other dangerous things while in Australia, so their education is just as skewed because it didn't help you when you were young either.

Your education must have been shit if you think my actions alone can be used to accurately judge an entire school system.

Sounds like a dictatorship.

They did spank me and slap me and stuff. I didn't care. It did not serve as a deterrent for me. And seriously, you are going to spank your 16 year old daughter for having sex or doing drugs? That doesn't even make sense.

It does if you use your penis. Edit: in the South.

But, in all seriousness, corporal punishment wouldn't work past a certain age, so I can't see employing that. If your going crazy at 16, it's got a basis for parenting choices in the early years.

Nah, my parents were both amazing people and they did a wonderful job. I can't even begin to describe how lucky I was to have them. Nobody could blame them for anything. It was all me.

no but I would have spanked you for it:hay:

There are tons of other factors that influence teenagers..

I would think you, of all people, would be against allowing society to judge and punish what it's members view as immoral activity.

Drinking and smoking underage is illegal, not immoral. Marriage is illegal under certain ages (depending on district), and like NOM says, marriage is paramount for procreation. Then it should be concluded sexual conduct with the possibility of procreation should be discouraged until the legal age of marriage or sexual consent. There are state education standardized tests that are required to pass. This is a legal standing, not moral.

Nope. I am quite ok with that, until I am 18. that's the attitude I had anyway; buckle down on studying so that when I hit 18 I have a better chance of continuing my education and doing something I want to do but until then follow all of the rules put forth by parents and faculty and law enforcement.

And most parents wouldn't go. Part of being ignorant is not knowing, and the other part is not knowing that you don't know.

Your education must have been shit if you think my actions alone can be used to accurately judge an entire school system.

If you were raised in an education system that eschewed drinking and smoking with the veal mind did and rather promoted their education courses in the same way universities did, you would have second thoughts about engaging in such activities. My school reinforced the importance of studying and preparing you for life in the future more strongly than the incentives drinking or drug taking or being promiscuous did.

That's not to say things didn't happen, but they were so strongly discouraged, people were looked down upon by other fellow students for being involved in such actions. It was peer pressure to do the good things, not bad.