Thread Texas goes adstinence only and is now top in nation for teen births

Like ZRH said, it stands for Advanced Placement. In most public high schools they are classes offered to students who wish to receive college credit for their work. At the end of the semester you take a test in the subject to qualify for the college credit. None of my AP classes were focused on rote memorization (which is basically repeating things over and over again until you have memorized them rather than learning theory behind concepts). CLEP is College-Level Examination Program. People can take a test in a subject to show mastery of that subject and receive college credit without taking the course. Different colleges have different rules about both of these programs.

Then, if you are in NY, you can take Reagent's classes and Reagent's Board tests, which used to be optional and equated with credit at some schools, but they decided they were too hard so they made them "more open" and now they are worthless.

There are also DSST DANTES if you live on a military installation with are like CLEPs but have more subjects.

a dude the year ahead of me in HS was so far ahead in AP that he was accepted to harvard early as a sophomore. pretty damned crazy

Which is a good thing, because it means you still have a chance to grow some boobs.
Dear God I hope so.
I was much earlier than most people, I was a right terror at that age. Did probably everything that year. Sex, drugs, booze, etc.
um... nope. Drank at about 2...if you count my parents giving me beer. If not, then probably 16. Sex at 17, drugs at 22.

I wasn't a star child either. Being the oldest I got into every kind of trouble too.

Dear God I hope so.
um... nope. Drank at about 2...if you count my parents giving me beer. If not, then probably 16. Sex at 17, drugs at 22.

I wasn't a star child either. Being the oldest I got into every kind of trouble too.

If you count that then yeah I was 2 my first time on booze also. But that's retarded.

What the fuck does education have to do with this?

Well the original post was that Texas education is so skewed that people think abstinence-only education prevents teenage pregnancy but didn't and rates got higher. You took drugs, drank, and did other dangerous things while in Australia, so their education is just as skewed because it didn't help you when you were young either.

Despite the fact that he likes to be railed in the pooper by men, dbzeag is probably one of the most vanilla people on here. He probably thinks education should include morals and keeping you all straight-laced.

I think there should be very strict standards of learning and if they are not met, severe consequences should be delivered. If you are not passing core curriculum, the "pain" of taking the classes over or removing yourself from sports in order to get private tutoring should be administered immediately. If someone is caught breaking the law, like underage drinking or smoking, an example should be made of them and be made public so as to remind students the proper etiquette while in the classroom and around school grounds. It should be a privilege to go to school, to be prepared to move on with your life given the staples of knowledge you learn. There should be an environment of pride in school for being academically successful and a fear that "immoral" activities like illegal actions or teenage pregnancy would ruin that experience and pride you have in yourself.