(retired?) Google-F.U.
Mar 5, 2005
<3
Marklar
₥21,152
Police: Homeowner shoots teen during burglary

FROM STAFF REPORTS

Monday, June 19, 2006

A Longview homeowner early Monday shot and killed a 15-year-old boy who police say was one of three teenagers attempting to burglarize the man's home in the 1100 block of Camille Drive.

Longview Police responded to the residence on Camille Drive at approximately 3:30 a.m.

The homeowner told police he was sleeping and heard noises, including glass breaking, according to a media release from the Longview Police Department. The man armed himself with a firearm and entered his living room, where he saw several people standing in the room — one person holding what appeared to be a weapon. The man shot toward the person he believed was holding a weapon.

When police arrived, they arrested Gregory Allison, 17, of Longview, who was being detained at the scene by the homeowner.

A 15-year-old boy was found in the woods behind the residence with a gunshot wound, and was taken to Longview Regional Medical Center, where he later was pronounced dead.

Police also found a 14-year-old boy at a residence on Woodway Lane after they received calls the boy also was suffering from a gunshot wound. The 14-year-old boy was taken to Good Shepherd Medical Center, and his condition is unknown.

Allison is being held at the Gregg County Jail on a charge of burglary of a habitation.

The case remains under investigation.

Punks get what's coming.

Parent claims teen shot while trying to get away
Officials decline comment on how 15-year-old died

By MELISSA TRESNER, JIM HARDIN

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

A day after a teen was fatally shot at a Parade of Homes residence, investigators had wrapped up their case against the boy's three friends, who were charged with burglary of a habitation.

Two of the teens' parents, meanwhile, are publicly saying they believe the homeowner used excessive and unnecessary force.

Gregg County District Attorney Bill Jennings wouldn't answer questions about the Monday morning break-in on Camille Drive, but he did provide information about the law regarding defense of property.

"Facts involving the shooting and burglary of the residence will be presented to a Gregg County grand jury at a future date," Jennings said.

Police on Monday said three teens — Trenton Joseph Houghton, Gregory Lynn Blaine Allison II and a 14-year-old boy — broke into the home at 1104 Camille Drive at about 3:30 a.m. Monday. On Tuesday, police said a fourth boy, a 16-year-old, also was involved and was arrested Monday night.

Houghton was fatally shot, and the 14-year-old boy, identified by his grandmother as Josh Cominsky, was wounded.

According to a news release Monday, the sound of breaking glass awoke the homeowner, and he told police he got a firearm and went into the living room of the three-bedroom, three-bath house. Police officers have not released the name of the homeowner, but they identified James Pitre as the burglary victim on a police report. The Gregg County Appraisal District lists James Pitre's wife, Lorrie, and Prestige Builders as the homeowner.

According to police, the homeowner said he saw several people standing inside the room, and one of them appeared to be holding a weapon.

Allison, 17, was arrested at the house, where he had been detained by the homeowner. Allison, charged with burglary of a habitation, was released from the Gregg County Jail on Monday night after posting $20,000 bond.

According to an arrest warrant, Allison told police he and the other suspects intended to steal property at the residence. "Suspect was wearing gloves, hat and dark clothing, which shows their preparation to commit the burglary," the arrest warrant says.

Allison's mother, Rosena Unruh, would not discuss the incident, and police have not said whether any of the boys had a weapon.

Lauretta Sok of Longview said her grandson, Josh Cominsky, had been released from the hospital and was at the Gregg County Juvenile Detention Center on Tuesday. Officials would not say when a detention hearing will be held in his case or in the case of the 16-year-old. Those hearings are public. Houghton's mother, Jan Harvey of Hallsville, and Sok said they believe the homeowner used unnecessary force.

Sok said the teens were not inside the house when they were shot.

"I was there when Josh gave his statement. He said they never got in the house. The boy pushed the door open, and the man was already standing there with the gun. He shot Trent. He shot Josh in the back as he was going over the fence to get away," Sok said.

"The police asked him, 'Did the man give you any warning that he was going to shoot?' Josh said, 'No.' "

She said Cominsky had shotgun pellets in his back.

Harvey also said her son had a gunshot wound in his back.

Gregg County Justice of the Peace Talyna Carlson pronounced Houghton dead at the hospital Monday morning. She would not say on what part of his body Houghton had been shot.

"I don't really want to answer that question yet. I know what I saw, but I don't have the autopsy back yet," she said.

She said it usually takes about a week to get preliminary results.

Longview police also would not answer questions about the location of Houghton's wounds or whether the homeowner would face charges.

Police department spokesman Shaun Pendleton said Tuesday that investigators had wrapped up their case and would be forwarding it to Jennings within the next couple of days.

"We're not releasing anything else about this," Pendleton said.

The East Texas Builder's Association, which sponsors the annual Parade of Homes, on Tuesday removed the Camille Drive property from this year's tour. Prestige Builders' other home at 6881 Penguin Road in Gilmer remains on the tour.

Jimmie Snider, executive vice president of the East Texas Builders Association, said would-be burglars should be aware that some Parade homes might be occupied by people who are armed.

"We need to get the message out to anyone and everyone that the builders are on alert now," she said. "It's dangerous to break into someone's house. People need to know that. They never know what they will find when they break into a building."

Snider, who has worked for the association for 36 years, added that homeowners have a right to protect their property and family.

There were several vandalism incidents at other Parade homes outside of the city limits Thursday, Friday and Sunday night, Snider said.

Builders have problems with vandalism throughout the year, Snider said, but "nothing this extreme" has occurred during previous Parade of Homes events.

Property defense laws

This week's fatal shooting of a 15-year-old who police have said was involved in a burglary has raised questions about the lengths to which people can legally go to defend their properties.

Sections 9.41 and 9.42 of the Texas Penal Code address the protection of a person's property. Those and other state statutes can be read online via www.capitol.state.tx.us.

When asked about the law, Gregg County District Attorney Bill Jennings released instructions to juries in past defense of property trials. According to those instructions:

— A person in lawful possession of land or tangible movable property is justified in using force against another when and to the degree he reasonably believes the force is immediately necessary to prevent or terminate the other's trespass on the land or unlawful interference with the property.

— A person is justified in using deadly force against another to protect his land or tangible movable property, and the possession thereof (1) if he would be justified in using force in the first place, as hereinabove set forth, (2) when and to the degree he reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessary, as viewed from his standpoint at the time, to prevent the other person's imminent commission of arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the nighttime or criminal mischief during the nighttime, and (3) he reasonably believes that (a) his land or property cannot be protected by any other means or (b) the use of force other than deadly force to protect his land or property would expose him or other persons to a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury.

— Under the law, a person defending his habitation with deadly force against a person who is at the time of the use of force committing an offense of unlawful entry in the habitation of the person so defending is under no legal obligation to retreat irrespective of whether a reasonable person would have so acted.

So you break into a tract home, get wasted, and suddenly it's unecessary force.

Student killed in burglary was 'sweet boy,' mother says

By MELISSA TRESNER

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Trenton Houghton's favorite recreation was eating out with his friends.

Shogun of Japan on Loop 281 was his favorite restaurant.

The 15-year-old also played paintball every chance he got, his mother said.

Jan Harvey said other parents often commented on how well behaved her son was.

"He was such a sweet, sweet boy. He would never leave this house without telling me goodbye, kissing me, saying, 'I love you, Mom,' " Harvey said.

Houghton would have been a sophomore at Hallsville High School when school started in the fall.

Houghton died early Monday morning after being shot by a homeowner on Camille Drive in Longview. Police said the boy and three of his friends were there to burglarize the home.

Harvey said her son had never been in trouble other than "little bitty things at school, but nothing law related."

Lee Branson, Houghton's ninth-grade biology teacher, said the boy didn't stick out in his mind as being a trouble-maker.

"He was just a really high-spirited, good-hearted kid. Talk about being at the wrong place at the wrong time," said Branson, a science teacher at Hallsville High School for four years.

Branson said Houghton was one of the most popular students on the campus.

"He was a charismatic person. He was one of those people, you just liked him. He always had a smile on his face. He wasn't ever down about anything. I wouldn't wish it on any of my students," Branson said.

Tom Lee Hutchinson, Houghton's friend and neighbor for the past four years, said Houghton was outgoing and friendly.

"He basically never met a stranger. Shy would be the opposite of what I would describe him as. For instance, I was talking to one of my sisters. She's 23. She had met him one time about three or four years ago. She'd only met him once but she remembered him because he was so outgoing," said Hutchinson, 16.

Hutchinson said Houghton was a "normal kid." He liked playing with his poodle, Budreau, and was respectful toward his teachers and parents.

"He never got in any kind of big trouble. Because he talked so much, he'd get in trouble with the teachers sometimes. That's it," Hutchinson said.

An online guestbook for Houghton at Rader Funeral Home's Web site had multiple entries Tuesday evening.

"Hallsville will not be the same without Trent," one entry said. "Remember the smile and the sparkle in Trent's eyes," another posting read. "Trent was so full of life and enjoyed it to its fullest," a third said.

Harvey said she was shocked that her son was involved in criminal activity.

"I know they were doing something they shouldn't have been doing, but I don't think the man should have shot my son in the back," Harvey said.

Longview police, Gregg County District Attorney Bill Jennings and Talyna Carlson, the justice of the peace who pronounced Houghton dead, would not comment on where Houghton was shot.

"Trent was a great kid. You can ask anybody. He didn't deserve what he got," his mother said.

Houghton's father, Marshall Houghton, did not return telephone calls seeking comment.

Houghton's funeral is set for 10 a.m. Thursday at Mobberly Baptist Church. Visitation will be tonight from 5 to 8 at Rader Funeral Home, 1617 Judson Road.

Goddamn talk about a blatant sob story. He got wasted breaking into SOMEONES HOME. Also when I die I hope they have something better to remember me for than eating out.

The kid shouldn't have been there, but the guy should've ID'd the target better and warned them that he was armed prior to shooting.

It sucks for everyone involved.

Last edited:
I shit you not, that happened in my city. I know the oldest one, i've played baseball with him for 3 years or so, i never expected to see this posted here.

Jesus christ. :( I can't get away from this fucking story.

edit: i could get his mugshot, but i can't remember the site addy for the mugshots in my area.

El Borracho said:
I shit you not, that happened in my city. I know the oldest one, i've played baseball with him for 3 years or so, i never expected to see this posted here.

edit: i could get his mugshot, but i can't remember the site addy for the mugshots in my area.

www.mugshotsofstupidkids.com ?

KNYTE said:
The kid shouldn't have been there, but the guy should've ID'd the target better and warned them that he was armed prior to shooting.

It sucks for everyone involved.
I agree it sucks for everyone involved. In TX you dont have to ID. Castle law, we have the same thing here in NY. Someone is in your house after dark they dont even have to be armed and you are 100% justified. It's a good shoot IMO.

El Borracho said:

I got this from someone else who lives in the city. This might be a good reminder why breaking the law is stupid and will get you maimed/killed/in prison.

FlamingGlory said:
I agree it sucks for everyone involved. In TX you dont have to ID. Castle law, we have the same thing here in NY. Someone is in your house after dark they dont even have to be armed and you are 100% justified. It's a good shoot IMO.

You would think so, but because of the creativity of the media and the lawyers all of the sudden he's some sadist who sits around all day waiting for people to come to his front door so he can blast them.

Yes, I carry a gun, but I would do everything possible to avoid having to actually kill someone with it. My hope is that if I ever have to pull it's just to scare someone away.

FlamingGlory said:
I got this from someone else who lives in the city. This might be a good reminder why breaking the law is stupid and will get you maimed/killed/in prison.

the wierd thing is, every knew blaine was a douchebag to some degree, but breaking into houses? no one saw it coming. I always figured he'd be in jail before he was 20, but not that he'd have gotten someone killed.

El Borracho said:
the wierd thing is, every knew blaine was a douchebag to some degree, but breaking into houses? no one saw it coming. I always figured he'd be in jail before he was 20, but not that he'd have gotten someone killed.

It's a perfect example of how the decisions you make do not necessarily effect only you.

There were apparently a bunch of other break-ins in the same set of tract homes, cant imagine who is responsible.

FlamingGlory said:
There were apparently a bunch of other break-ins in the same set of tract homes, cant imagine who is responsible.

My guess would be that they will not have any further incidents.

:wtf: you edited your post?

Fuck the little bastards.
They broke into someones home in the middle of the night, what did they expect. Douchebag lawers can put any spin they want on this story, and the media can be as sympathetic as they want to the families of the deceased, but the fact remains that they broke the law, and the homeowner had the right to protect himself, his property and his family. Someone breaks into your house in the middle of the night you dont sit down with them for a round-table discussion of their intentions, you fucking shoot to kill.
I would have done the same thing. I have a 12-gauge next to my headboard loaded with 00-buck.

Drool-Boy said:
fukn dubble post

I think it deserved a double post, the server must have thought so too :p

I keep my SIG 2340 with a clip holding 10 rounds of .40 S&W quite handy near my bed. It's locked up but I can get at it within 4 - 6 seconds. I'm going to take out at least 3-5 ninjas before I go down.

ERage said:
I think it deserved a double post, the server must have thought so too :p

I keep my SIG 2340 with a clip holding 10 rounds of .40 S&W quite handy near my bed. It's locked up but I can get at it within 4 - 6 seconds. I'm going to take out at least 3-5 ninjas before I go down.

I didn't know you own a handgun. i lub j00 mang.

little bastards got what they diserved. It should be no questions asked even if the perp had 8 bullet holes in his back.

Despite the fact that this guy was well within his rights, he is now a person who has taken a life and I can never get behind that. Maybe it could have been avoided. I feel bad for the homeowner. I feel bad for the dead kid's family. It's a sad situation.