Tell me about your dishwasher

eileenbunny

Druish Princess
May 25, 2005
Columbia, Maryland, United States
Marklar
₥3,190
IBWIP and I are trying to plan renovations to our kitchen. We have a dishwasher that does not actually wash dishes and we would like one that does. This is an area where I am definitely willing to spend extra money to get one that works and is energy efficient. Please tell me about your dishwasher and what you like about it/don't like about it. Thanks. In fact, tell me about all your kitchen appliances if you like. :)

He's about 6' tall. He drinks more beer than IBWIP. He goes to just about as many meets but takes up just a tad bit less space.

[hide]
picture.php
[/hide]

I have a Kenmore which works great. Sears brand stuff generally does. Everything in my kitchen is KEnmore except the stove/oven which is a Mayteg Gemini with the extra 1/2 oven on top. :cool:

My mother has a Bosch down in Florida and just got one for up here as well. Bosch is an excellent brand if you don't mind spending $1000 on a dishwasher whereas a nice Kenmore would run $500 or so.

Whatever you do, buy from a place that services what they sell. Lowes for example sells Bosch, but doesn't service them which leaves you fucked if it breaks.

Last edited:
Chim and I picked up a Whirlpool. Supposedly the most reliable mainstream brand. Bosch is top, but isn't as mainstream and quite a bit more.

Just make sure to by the cheapest unit that uses the best motors. For instance, every washer company has like a line of washers that use the same motor. Some just have more features like hotter water heater or more adjustable tines or something like that. Get the model from that line that is the cheapest (has fewest features to break). Then you have reliable parts where it counts.

Also, you might want to bring some of the trays and glasses you use a bit with you to the store. I brought a serving tray, a plate, and a wine glass to see how the shelves would fit. I am glad I did because I found out I can get away with the non-adjustable top shelf and still fit what I needed to (cheaper model).

I would recommend the non-motorized but still movable sprayer on the bottom of the top shelf as that cleans the top shelf better and has less motorized/fragile parts. check to make sure the distance from the bottom shelf is sufficient to clear that swinging sprayer, though (that's what the plate/tray is for).

I would also recommend the easiest controls you can manage. Too many dials and LCD displays are just more things to break/confuse. The sanitizer heat rinse is pointless because the moment the dish comes out of the washer, it gets contaminated immediately.

Stainless steel lined ones are nice, but unnecessary if you don't put aluminum in to get washed. Also note the bottom drain. Some washers have a cycle that cleans the drain BEFORE the main washing occurs. This prevents previous food particles from redepositing during the wash. This is quite helpful.

Let me know if you need any other advice, I will see what I can do :heart:

i have some cheapo from a scratch and dent sale in my rented place. works beautifully. honestly, i'm not sure how you could buy a new dishwasher these days and not have it work well. is the one you currently have really old or something?

edit: how could consumer reports skip the GE Profile series? Massively popular right now. Do they just not rate in the top group?

Last edited:
Oh yes, good point Jonny. Eileen, do your research for the model you want to go for, then find it scratch and dent. Much cheaper and the motorized parts are usually just perfect.

Also, shop around the stores to take a look at features you want, not necessarily to buy from that store. And pricematch if you do find what you are looking for.

The dishwasher has been named the hardest appliance to shop for, so keep that in mind.

I had to move some plumbing when I got my new one, which is a pain in the ass, so keep that in mind. They also have 2-drawer models now, that are good for running smaller loads at a time without wasting a full load worth of water.

I had to move some plumbing when I got my new one, which is a pain in the ass, so keep that in mind. They also have 2-drawer models now, that are good for running smaller loads at a time without wasting a full load worth of water.
that would be badass. i live alone but i have to own 8 place settings of silverware just so i don't run out before the dishwasher gets full.

The problem with the drawer type washers is that the drawers aren't very tall. Which limits what you can put in them.

we have sears scratch & dent outlets here...every big appliance I've ever bought has been from there...who cares if there is a small ding on the side of your dryer you got for 1/2 price brand new? not I

we have sears scratch & dent outlets here...every big appliance I've ever bought has been from there...who cares if there is a small ding on the side of your dryer you got for 1/2 price brand new? not I

Seriously. There could be two dings and I would still buy it.

scratch and dent is definitely the way to go as long as it's only cosmetic. the s&d fridge the landlord bought has a broken ice dispenser that is annoying. it makes ice, it dispenses water, it just can't dispense ice. it's a pisser because everyone who comes to my house for the first time tries it sooner or later and I have to explain that it doesn't work because I have a slumlord.

scratch and dent is definitely the way to go as long as it's only cosmetic. the s&d fridge the landlord bought has a broken ice dispenser that is annoying. it makes ice, it dispenses water, it just can't dispense ice. it's a pisser because everyone who comes to my house for the first time tries it sooner or later and I have to explain that it doesn't work because I have a slumlord.

the sears outlets give you the full warranty to boot...pretty sweet deal