Tell me about smartyphones

water

Flaccid Member
Oct 29, 2004
AZ
Marklar
₥272
Our contract is up in January or so and I'm interested in getting a smarty-type phone to organize my work and life a little bit better.

I've been looking at the selection that Verizon offers and am interested in the Pearl, the Samsun 760, and the Motorola Q. However I'm not in bed with Verizon enough to have any loyalty to them, and their data plans are supposedly stupidly expensive compared to everyone else, so if another carrier had a good deal I'd probably switch.

If you could post your knowledge of carriers, phones, and available rates and plans that have worked well for you I would indeed appreciate it.

Ready...go.

Check out the TMobile Dash. They have a T-Zones plan that has a work around to get full internet for $5/mo.

edit: But I would check first and see who has good service in PHX...

I have the Pearl and really like it. The main drawback is there are 2 letters per key instead of a full keyboard. It does a decent job with predictive text and it gets smarter the more you use it. It also does not have gps like the curve has but it is smaller.

Check out the TMobile Dash. They have a T-Zones plan that has a work around to get full internet for $5/mo.

edit: But I would check first and see who has good service in PHX...

Is the workaround a software hack? Plan "adjustment"?

A friend of mine says Tmobile service in PHX is fine.

edit: The dash is pretty cool.

First check reviews of service in the area you're at. Sprint works wonderfully (in fact better than any other provider) here but I've heard a lot of complaints by people who live in the North East about Sprint. It varies location to location.

I have the Samsung i760. The Verizon network is pretty reliable. I don't have many dropped calls and I can get EVDO broadband access in most major cities.
I love the i760.

I have a Palm Centro with Sprint. For $30 a month, I get free nights and weekends starting at 7pm, unlimited data (but they say you cannot use your phone as a wireless modem), unlimited text msging, 3 way, call forwarding, caller id, free mobile to mobile PCS calling, no roaming within US, the lot.

All of my programs from my Handspring in 1999 copied over to my phone lickity split.

The phone itself was $99, no rebates. No activation, free overnight delivery. I also will get a $50 credit next month on my bill.

You have to sign a 2 year agreement, however.

There is another phone was I looking at, the Helio Ocean. Right now you can get the phone for $145. $50 VISA card in the mail. No activation, unlim txt msg, unlim data, 3 way calling, no roaming, etc. Free bluetooth headset, 1gb microSD card as well. For $99 a month, you get unlimited minutes. CDMA towers (Sprint and Verizon). Free shipping, too. Again 2 year agreement.

http://www.finawireless.com/helio/helio-ocean-black.php

PM if you would like details.

<back to seclusion>

I have a Palm Centro with Sprint. For $30 a month, I get free nights and weekends starting at 7pm, unlimited data (but they say you cannot use your phone as a wireless modem), unlimited text msging, 3 way, call forwarding, caller id, free mobile to mobile PCS calling, no roaming within US, the lot.

All of my programs from my Handspring in 1999 copied over to my phone lickity split.

The phone itself was $99, no rebates. No activation, free overnight delivery. I also will get a $50 credit next month on my bill.

You have to sign a 2 year agreement, however.

:eek:

How'd you get on that plan?