Ontopic Tell me about current quality laptops

CletusJones

CUCKGBLR
Oct 15, 2004
Marklar
₥3,602
It's time for some new tech equipment at the Jones household and we're contemplating moving from a standard pc to a laptop. I have no brand loyalty persay but I'm not a fan of HP laptops. It needs to be 17", run the i7 chip, and have at least 6gb of RAM. Would prefer a SSD option as well.

There aren't many 17" laptops that blow wind up my snatch but I'm thinking I have it narrowed down to these two:
Toshiba Qosmio x770
Dell Vostro 3750

I'm leaning towards the Dell because it can have win7 pro w/XP mode out of the box. Most of the other laptops have win7 home premium.

Can UF help me out?

Vostros are nice computers. SSD options from Dell are pricey so you'd be better off buying the SSD separately from Newegg or something like that. That goes for most upgrades from Dell.
Lenovos are decent laptops too.

Those are my top 2 choices for PC laptops, followed by Sony. I don't have any experience with the Samsung laptops, but I like their designs & keyboards.

I've had good luck with IBM/Lenovo Thinkpads. They all come with 7 Pro. Prices arent really huge between manufacturers though, unless someone is running a sale.

Vostros are nice computers. SSD options from Dell are pricey so you'd be better off buying the SSD separately from Newegg or something like that. That goes for most upgrades from Dell.

Those are my top 2 choices for PC laptops, followed by Sony. I don't have any experience with the Samsung laptops, but I like their designs & keyboards.
The 128gb SSD was a $150 upgrade with Dell, not too bad IMHO. Worth not having to dick with it myself.

The only lenovo that's 17" is the g770 and it's nice but I'm doing a drive swap right out of the box, and it's i5 at most. There's no 17" "thinkpad" option, only the consumer stuff. I had wanted to go with a thinkpad because my old t42 is still trucking along like a champ after 8 years constant use. Kinda disappointing actually.

I spend as little on laptops as possible because regardless of price you're going to hate the thing and want something new inside of a year anyway.

I spend as little on laptops as possible because regardless of price you're going to hate the thing and want something new inside of a year anyway.
Maybe try spending more and getting something that doesn't suck. I realize this is difficult now...

I still use the shit out of my 8 year old thinkpad T42. It runs Linux now and gets about 5 hours out of the battery (not 8 years old). Still fast enough for web/productivity and the occasional video or three. It's been dropped many times(down concrete steps even), sat on, gotten wet, power surged, and pretty much everything you're not supposed to do to a computer. To think I almost bought a toughbook.

Ironically, I've given up my T41 today for an Acer Netbook and am happier doing so. The Acer has AMD C60 CPU, 4GB RAM, 320GB hdd (thinking of swapping it out for an SSD), webcam and all the other regular stuff.

It is much faster than the T41, especially for what I need for. light web browsing, verifying clients' internet connections are working, diagnosing wireless networks, minor pentesting, configuring network equipment. Fits inside one of my toolbags. Supposedly 5+hrs battery life (haven't verified this yet).

Meh, I liked the thinkpad a lot. I've got a buyer lined up for it as well. It's going to get replaced with a tablet. Not sure which one yet though.

Maybe try spending more and getting something that doesn't suck. I realize this is difficult now...

I still use the shit out of my 8 year old thinkpad T42. It runs Linux now and gets about 5 hours out of the battery (not 8 years old). Still fast enough for web/productivity and the occasional video or three. It's been dropped many times(down concrete steps even), sat on, gotten wet, power surged, and pretty much everything you're not supposed to do to a computer. To think I almost bought a toughbook.

Uh huh.

I never said I threw the damn things away, I just said in my experience, which includes spending $2k on several of them, they rarely turned out to be worth it. This is even more true now with incredibly capable smart phones and tablets everywhere for less than $500.

Last edited:

I've got a Samsung laptop and it's great, 17" screen, 8Gb RAM, good video card, great sound for movies etc. This is either it or something similar as I can't remember the product name: http://www.debenhamsplus.com/DE_Samsung_Notebook_10061562/version.asp?refsource=DEfroogle