Ontopic Tell me about current quality laptops

I would doubt that's still the case since dell bought alienware a few years ago. possible though

Ironically, I've given up my T41 today for an Acer Netbook and am happier doing so. The Acer has AMD C60 CPU, 4GB RAM, 320GB hdd (thinking of swapping it out for an SSD), webcam and all the other regular stuff.

It is much faster than the T41, especially for what I need for. light web browsing, verifying clients' internet connections are working, diagnosing wireless networks, minor pentesting, configuring network equipment. Fits inside one of my toolbags. Supposedly 5+hrs battery life (haven't verified this yet).
That 11.6 Acer? Yeah I have that model, too. Awesome little thing. Definitely swap out with SSD, then there is only one moving part, the cooling fan. My battery life too a bit of a hit, but it's worth it. There is also an open mini PCIe slot if you would like to slap another SSD card in there, or BT.

Meh, I liked the thinkpad a lot. I've got a buyer lined up for it as well. It's going to get replaced with a tablet. Not sure which one yet though.

Tablets are not very useful. they just don't have a large number of uses. The niches they are good that they are amazing, but for day to day, it just doesn't work.

And don't get the 10", they are too big and heavy and bulky to be as portable as a tablet should be.

Tablets are not very useful. they just don't have a large number of uses. The niches they are good that they are amazing, but for day to day, it just doesn't work.

And don't get the 10", they are too big and heavy and bulky to be as portable as a tablet should be.

I couldn't disagree more. First, for what most people are using a laptop for like light internet browsing, facebook, random BS - a tablet more than sufficient. And calling a 10" tablet too bulky and heavy to be portable, when many of us lug around laptops is laughable.

The other thing that's laughable is 7" tablets. Fuck that.

I couldn't disagree more. First, for what most people are using a laptop for like light internet browsing, facebook, random BS - a tablet more than sufficient. And calling a 10" tablet too bulky and heavy to be portable, when many of us lug around laptops is laughable.

....SO THERE!!

This X bafinity

I've got a Samsung laptop and it's great, 17" screen, 8Gb RAM, good video card, great sound for movies etc. This is either it or something similar as I can't remember the product name: http://www.debenhamsplus.com/DE_Samsung_Notebook_10061562/version.asp?refsource=DEfroogle
Looks nice but in reviews they say the power adapter is undersized and "performance throttling under full load" killed it for me. :(

Nice. Sadly my budget is about $1k less than that.

Asus Prime Infinity.
I saw this the other day, looks pretty sweet. I also read something about a nexus tablet. I'll probably hold off on a tablet until mid may or so. Gotta get some E30 parts first.

Looks nice but in reviews they say the power adapter is undersized and "performance throttling under full load" killed it for me. :(

Hmmm. I don't get the undersized bit, it's a pretty bulky adaptor and the battery lasts for a good few hours even when playing vids constantly. As for performance throttling idk, I can run skyrim and have everything in the background and not notice any performance issues at all.

I've actually been trying to decide between the 7" and 10". After playing with both sizes I think there are nicer products out there in the 10" size but as an occasional use device the 7" appeals to me. Obviously the bigger screen will be better for multimedia and afford more space for larger batteries...

But what about the xyboard 8.9?

Hmmm. I don't get the undersized bit, it's a pretty bulky adaptor and the battery lasts for a good few hours even when playing vids constantly. As for performance throttling idk, I can run skyrim and have everything in the background and not notice any performance issues at all.
Interesting. I may have to see if I can find one in a store to go touch

I've actually been trying to decide between the 7" and 10". After playing with both sizes I think there are nicer products out there in the 10" size but as an occasional use device the 7" appeals to me. Obviously the bigger screen will be better for multimedia and afford more space for larger batteries...

But what about the xyboard 8.9?

7" just seems like a pseudo-phone without the ability to actually BE a phone. If I want to read, browse, draw on a tiny 7" screen, I might as well sacrifice a little more real estate and just use my phone. That's just me tho.

edit: But if you want a 7", this might not be a bad deal
http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/71950/dell-home-outlet-16gb-dell-streak-7-wifi-tablet-refurbished

Last edited:

A 7" fits into a backpack easier. It's lighter. Has longer battery life. Is just as readable. Usually cheaper to purchase.

10" is just heavy as some laptops. I have a netbook maxi (11.6") because I want a full keyboard because I actually type but I want the most portable I can get. Typing on ANY tablet is shittastic. My netbook weighs just a pound more than an iPad and has far more capabilities can an iPad and I can comfortably type emails and word docs. As well as view flash websites :fly:

No physically undersized, undersized electronically. The output to the device itself is just barely in the margins of what the elctronic components internal to that box have in them. It's like running the capacitors at 11 when charging the device.

That 11.6 Acer? Yeah I have that model, too. Awesome little thing. Definitely swap out with SSD, then there is only one moving part, the cooling fan. My battery life too a bit of a hit, but it's worth it. There is also an open mini PCIe slot if you would like to slap another SSD card in there, or BT.
Yep, 11.6" screen. Acer Aspire One 722-something. I picked it up instore at Staples, after a coupon, for $250 + tax. Pretty much costs what I could find online. I took off the bottom cover yesterday to look at the harddrive options. Yep, I saw the mini-pcie slot. I might get a BT module for that area, although there aren't any extra antennas so I'd probably have to rip it apart (I hate working on laptops), install an aftermarket antenna wire, and reassemble in order to get BT working well. I think I'll stick with the easy upgrade and get an SSD. Not sure what brand or model. Don't need a lot of space, probably could get away with the 64GB size SSDs.

Last edited:
Yep, 11.6" screen. Acer Aspire One 722-something. I picked it up instore at Staples, after a coupon, for $250 + tax. Pretty much costs what I could find online. I took off the bottom cover yesterday to look at the harddrive options. Yep, I saw the mini-pcie slot. I might get a BT module for that area, although there aren't any extra antennas so I'd probably have to rip it apart (I hate working on laptops), install an aftermarket antenna wire, and reassemble in order to get BT working well. I think I'll stick with the easy upgrade and get an SSD. Not sure what brand or model. Don't need a lot of space, probably could get away with the 64GB size SSDs.

I picked up a 64gb corsair for $80 on sale. I picked my 722 up for $250 + $50 GC from Target. You could put a 3G/4G card in that slot, too, with an embedded SIM slot and antennae. No need to gut your laptop to put it in.

A 7" fits into a backpack easier. It's lighter. Has longer battery life. Is just as readable. Usually cheaper to purchase.

10" is just heavy as some laptops. I have a netbook maxi (11.6") because I want a full keyboard because I actually type but I want the most portable I can get. Typing on ANY tablet is shittastic. My netbook weighs just a pound more than an iPad and has far more capabilities can an iPad and I can comfortably type emails and word docs. As well as view flash websites :fly:

What backpack are you using? :lol: You're insane. And my Prime weighs 1.3 pounds and is capable of doing EXACTLY what most people use a laptop for: internet browsing. Only its lighter and has much longer battery life. If you're writing documents, well no shit you want a laptop, but again that isn't what most people use one for.

I picked up a 64gb corsair for $80 on sale. I picked my 722 up for $250 + $50 GC from Target. You could put a 3G/4G card in that slot, too, with an embedded SIM slot and antennae. No need to gut your laptop to put it in.
I see. Very little true 3G coverage in this state, and 4G coverage I'm not sure about. I'm looking to get my first Android phone which will be "4G LTE" according to my cell carrier. If it really connects at 4G, I'll probably just tether to the netbook if and when I need to do that. Free WiFi is more convenient than 3G/4G in this state right now.

7" just seems like a pseudo-phone without the ability to actually BE a phone. If I want to read, browse, draw on a tiny 7" screen, I might as well sacrifice a little more real estate and just use my phone. That's just me tho.

edit: But if you want a 7", this might not be a bad deal
http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/71950/dell-home-outlet-16gb-dell-streak-7-wifi-tablet-refurbished
Meh. Not going with a refurb. Maybe a refurbed iPad2 but not an Android tablet. Don't ask me why, no clue.

In all honesty I'll probably end up with a 10", I'm just resisting at the moment.
What backpack are you using? :lol: You're insane. And my Prime weighs 1.3 pounds and is capable of doing EXACTLY what most people use a laptop for: internet browsing. Only its lighter and has much longer battery life. If you're writing documents, well no shit you want a laptop, but again that isn't what most people use one for.
Get the keyboard dock for your prime, my MIL types docs on hers all the time. They're mediocre at best but you can cludge by if needed. Me, I'll probably use it like everyone else; for web and the occasional video. My phone is rooted so I'm good with WiFi only, I can has hotspot.