Mean Mr. Mustard

Always shouts out something obscene
Sep 30, 2004
Uranus
Marklar
₥50,767
Steam
heyfubuddy
Any o' you foolios pulled up linoleum flooring before?
How much of a pain in the ass is it? Im planning on putting real tile down in the masterbath this weekend, but I have to get the linoleum up first. Its less than 100 sqft of floor in there, and the installation is just over a year old.

Drool-Boy said:
Do I need any special scraping tools and shit, or will it all come up if I just tear at it. Theres already a loose seam I can get my hands under.

Razor knife, a wide putty knife and maybe if it's extra tough, a good wide and flat crowbar to get under it in the shitty places. And tearing at it.

Drool-Boy said:
fuck that, Ima just cut the lino around, I aint pullin that bitch up again if I can avoid it:p

You should pull the toilet up. You'll have problems later if you don't.

BigDov said:
Razor knife, a wide putty knife and maybe if it's extra tough, a good wide and flat crowbar to get under it in the shitty places. And tearing at it.

ah good, shouldnt be too bad then. The stuff they put down is the big sheet-style stuff, and its barely 1/16th thick. Im more concerned about the adhesive that may be left behind, but I think the mud for the new stone tiles will cover that ok.

SpangeMonkee said:
is it lino or vinyl. there is a difference. the lino will break as you peal it up. the vinyl won't. after you get all the glue up, you're gonna have to put some self-leveling compound though. do you know much about ceramic tiling?

Its vynil sheets.
Ive done a bit of tiling, but Im gonna have to read up just be sure. My father in law has a tile saw Im gonna barrow too.

[theac]Pull the toilet out you lazy bastard[/theac]

If its vinyl sheet, there is a chance they may have just laid it without glue. Otherwise, like someone said above, a self leveling compound would smooth out any rough areas from the glue.

Drool-Boy said:
What kind of problems?

For one thing, your toilet will be lower since your floor will be raised. Also, unless you can cut the tiles perfectly, its gonna look like ass around it. If you do pull it you'll have to add a falange of some kind to the existing one to raise the toilet to the height of the new floor.

smileynev said:
For one thing, your toilet will be lower since your floor will be raised. Also, unless you can cut the tiles perfectly, its gonna look like ass around it. If you do pull it you'll have to add a falange of some kind to the existing one to raise the toilet to the height of the new floor.

Yeah, good points I hadnt thought of. 3/8th of an inch difference wouldnt matter much to me, but getting the tiles right right up to the edge of the toilet would be a pain.
Argh.

Drool-Boy said:
Yeah, good points I hadnt thought of. 3/8th of an inch difference wouldnt matter much to me, but getting the tiles right right up to the edge of the toilet would be a pain.
Argh.

my bro in law laid down some of those vinyl tiles in his parent's bathroom. He didn't pull the toilet up, so there are a few spots that aren't so grand.

smileynev said:
my bro in law laid down some of those vinyl tiles in his parent's bathroom. He didn't pull the toilet up, so there are a few spots that aren't so grand.

Im putting in stone tiles
6" octagonal tiles with little 1" squares to fill in the gaps.
Itll look good , but theres like eleventy hojillion of the fuckers I have to put down, so the less cutting and dicking around , the better.

Drool-Boy said:
Itll look good , but theres like eleventy hojillion of the fuckers I have to put down, so the less cutting and dicking around , the better.

Damn, your idea or the bosses?

I am going to tile our unfinished bathroom and mudroom, but not with little tiles like that. Nice big 12x12 inch tiles for me.

Drool-Boy said:

That's some tedious work with those smaller tiles.