Tearing out linoleum

smileynev said:
Damn, your idea or the bosses?

I am going to tile our unfinished bathroom and mudroom, but not with little tiles like that. Nice big 12x12 inch tiles for me.

The boss picked them out:p Then she got me drunk and showed me her boobies, so I agreed to put them in.

Ill eventually do the foyer, kitchen, dining, and laundry rooms too, but theyll be the nice big tiles.

i ripped up the linoleum in my parents' kitchen when i was younger. depending on the glue, you might have to rent a power sander to get the floor somewhat even, before you put the levelling compound down. definitely have a nice wide crowbar and a mallet at your disposal, as well as some safety goggles (flying linoleum+ eyes= the suck).

ChikkenNoodul said:
Same here, when I re-do the bathroom floors

Probably granite tiles though

granite = $$
but the stone tiles aint cheap either, I can tell ya.
But theres no way Im putting my time and effort in to lay down crappy ceramic tiles. Its the good stuff or nothing.

F33nX said:
i ripped up the linoleum in my parents' kitchen when i was younger. depending on the glue, you might have to rent a power sander to get the floor somewhat even, before you put the levelling compound down. definitely have a nice wide crowbar and a mallet at your disposal, as well as some safety goggles (flying linoleum+ eyes= the suck).

Did the asbestos taste like cherries?

ChikkenNoodul said:
Same here, when I re-do the bathroom floors

Probably granite tiles though

I will probably do some inexpensive ceramic tile. This weekend on "I Want That" on HGTV they had these special fiber optic reflective tiles that took a light that you shined at it and reflected it in a different area on the wall. It was pretty cool, if kind of DDR gay.

Drool-Boy said:
Itll probably look kickass in that old house
Yeah, I hope so. The kitchen is gonna rock

We settled on southern yellow pine for the kitchen floor, to kind of match the pine floors in the rest of the house.

Now the beams are all exposed and cleaned up, with some nice v-notch board in between

Cabinets are ordered and should be in sometime in June

ChikkenNoodul said:
That would suck at 3AM on a tequila bender

Thats angie's and my new favorite show. They have some kickass stuff on there.

I saw this giant (6' x 9' ) mosaic of 1" tiles at the tile store, the patterns were totally kickass, and all you have to do is set it in place and grout it. Im TOTALLY putting one of those in my foyer when I get around to doing that area. Damn things like 1200 bucks tho.